Seeking button quail information resources- Nutrition, housing, etc.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Narihde, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Narihde

Narihde In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    I have raised buttons for quite some time but I would like to find more resources on raising.
    Such as nutrition and housing:
    My coop for them has quite big wires so they run on the wooden planks, so I was wondering if anyone knows a good coop design for them that's easy to clean.
    And I'm sure lay crumble may not be cutting it for them.
    Thanks.

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Songster

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    First thing get them the proper fed. They must have high protein crumbles, sold as turkey or game bird crumbles! Protein level of over 18% up to 30%. They need oyster shell, fresh veggies and fruit, try broccoli, apple flesh (no seeds or skin) and hard boiled chicken or even their egg shell and all smashed up and always clean clear cool drinking water. They love a sand bath never water. They should never be on wire bottomed cages their feet are too small and will be damaged. Depending on why you have them, pets or profit, will dictate the enclosures for them. They are best in single pairs, one male one female. Some folks have luck with groups of several males and lots of females but this is not natural and fighting can and will happen. Expect sever injuries even deaths ...they are very territorial. anyway I suggest you buy Jodi McDonalds book, A Closer Look at Button Quail", you can find it here:
    www.brackenridgeranch.com

We also have a group on Yahoo groups:
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Buttonquail411/info

and a page on Facebook, just look for Button Quail you will find us.
    There are several other sites that can help but beware some are not very accurate. If in doubt just ask on here. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by