Seeking opinions about breeding and starting a branch of a certain type of breed.

jtdoux

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 15, 2014
I feel my formulation can help egg production with a certain breed of chickens. I quickly want to thank you for helping me figure out my rooster's identity as he is a Mahogany Favor-ale (iphone spell check sucks).

I understand how some might not like the idea creating a new breed. However after careful research it is a minimum * 6th generation* and carefully selecting the timing of the call of duty.

Opinions and suggestions are welcomed.

That isn't a mahogany Faverolles. It may be a Faverolles mix but it is definitely not pure, not with that crest and comb. Could have some silkie or EE in him too.

What breeds are you looking at working with? What are your goals?

Last edited:
That isn't a mahogany Faverolles. It may be a Faverolles mix but it is definitely not pure, not with that crest and comb. Could have some silkie or EE in him too.

What breeds are you looking at working with? What are your goals?

Yeah I was wondering if his comb needed to just grow it seemed odd to me however he has the black beard like as the mahogany. I have a few Rhodes and americanas and yes one silkie.

Anyone who has a correction on my rooster would be helpful. Thank you for mentioning his possibilities of mix.

I heard a of some dark layers and some layers who lay a lot. Looking to mix the combination of the two. One the future yet for now want to create a mass laying chicken that has character instead of boring visual plain chicken that I can also have a try at a show with him or her.

Yeah I was wondering if his comb needed to just grow it seemed odd to me however he has the black beard like as the mahogany. I have a few Rhodes and americanas and yes one silkie.

Anyone who has a correction on my rooster would be helpful. Thank you for mentioning his possibilities of mix.
This is a mahogany Faverolles.

MahogFavsM.JPEG

They have single combs, no crest and a heavier build than your bird. Yours could have a pea comb or walnut comb or a combination, it's hard to tell. So there's silkie or possibly EE in there somewhere. If EE he could carry the blue egg gene.

Last edited:
I heard a of some dark layers and some layers who lay a lot. Looking to mix the combination of the two. One the future yet for now want to create a mass laying chicken that has character instead of boring visual plain chicken that I can also have a try at a show with him or her.
I guess you'll need to make a master list of what you want to end up with. Feather color and/or pattern, egg color, etc then look for breeds that have what you want to add.

Who lays the most eggs and who lays the most darkest eggs? Which breed is the oldest and purest breed?

Back
Top Bottom