???Seeping??? how can you tell???

roll8221

Songster
13 Years
Sep 4, 2008
Central Florida
How can you tell an egg is seeping when it is bad? i have some questonable eggs in the bator and i red in a thread that you should just wait until the 14th day unless its "seeping". I'm sure i can guess the cause, but what am i looking for?

I have had it happen. You will see a thickish yucky slightly yellowish liquid under the egg. I have had two do that . Had to remove eggs promptly and clean the mess under it.

Why do you say the are questionable? If you candled and it does not look like the are developing then take them out. I would check again at 10 days and any egg that does not have a definate dark portion inside, is not developing. Take the egg out. Sometimes you will get an egg that is bad from the get go and it will leak or seep. Take it out when you notice that. If you smell anything at all that seems off in the incubator, look for any egg that is seeping or one that you can smell the odor from. It happens but not often. I was afraid to incubate eggs for a year because of reading about exploding eggs. Just be aware of what is going on in your incubator and check each egg carefully when you turn them or candle and you should be fine.

THats what I thought but when i was candleing some had a dark mass but no veins on day seven. me and the misses found a thread saying to leave them until day 14, but i dont want it to explode in the bator. Plus I have seven EE eggs that are so thick i cant see inside them. what do i do with those?

I am on my first hatch and I asked the same question at the beginning (today is now day 19). Some folks said to leave them, which I understand, because if in doubt, might as well wait and see. For learning sake, I decided to open the ones that had no veining, and sure enough, they were all duds. That was around day 5. At day 12 or so, I had two more die, or so I suspected, because I could see no veining anymore (when the chick dies, the blood starts to pool and drains out of the veins, so you can no longer see them). Again, just for learning sake, I opened them and sure enough, they had died. I feel I ahve learned a lot about identifying dead eggs in the process. Anyway, that was just my experience and 2 cents worth.

thanks loco!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom