1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

segregated chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by afj6710, Jul 8, 2011.

1. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Our chickens seem to always be segregated! Our buff pullets are always with the buff roo, our rocks always stick with the rock cockeral, and our 4 mutt chicks are always together. Every time I walk into the coop, the groups are always in seperate areas. The mutts came from a different place originally but all the buffs and barreds came from the same place.

Is this common in chickens?

2. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Not sure if it is, but my 3 BOs also hang out together (well before one got hurt and came inside) and my 3 Barnevelders hang out together. The two groups stay kind of close to each other but you can tell they are two different groups, they all hatched on the same day and were raised together, but they did this from day 1.

3. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    My first time I ordered chick I got a grab bag so had many different kinds. This time I ordered several of the same breeds and found this to be true. The Rocks hang together, the Marans stay together and the Cochins - same thing. They were all raised together except the Cochins who were raised by themselves since they were so big. They all seem to get along but hang with their own kind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by