Segway Company Owner Dies While Riding One

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, Sep 27, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    http://www.kfsm.com/news/nationworld/sns-segway-owner-dies-freak-accident,0,1922915.story

I
    don't know what to think. At first I laughed, then I felt bad about laughing, then I thought "Wow. Ironic much?"

Reporting from London - A British businessman who last year bought the company that makes the Segway scooter fell to his death off a cliff in northern England, apparently while riding one of the vehicles on his estate.

West Yorkshire police said in a statement that the body of Jimi Heselden, 62, had been pulled Monday from the River Wharfe near the town of Boston Spa after a call from a passerby.

Local media reports said he was believed to have lost control of his scooter Sunday on a wooded path that runs close to a 30-foot drop to the river.

Heselden bought the New Hampshire-based Segway company in December. The former coal miner made his fortune after losing his job in the widespread mine closures of the mid-1980s. Using his expertise in coal-mining blast methods, he formed a company, Hesco Bastionhttp://www.hesco.com/, which manufactures protective barriers.

The barriers, known as "sand baskets," consist of wire frames with liners that are filled with dirt, sand or rocks. They are considered better than sandbags in protecting against explosions and have been widely adopted by militaries all over the world, including the U.S. military, since the 1991 Persian Gulf War.

Heselden, said to be worth $265 million, became well known in Yorkshire as a philanthropist who donated to local charities and more recently to a fund to help rehabilitate injured soldiers. Tributes from local and national figures praised him as a generous local hero who never forgot his roots.

British law restricts the use of Segway scooters to private land. The device, invented by Dean Kamen, can travel at a top speed of about 12 mph. In July, a rider was prosecuted for riding one on a sidewalk.​

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I saw that on the news. Said he drove off a cliff into the river. It is certainly ironic.

Imp

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I think this is the first death by Segway that I have heard of.

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    What's really funny, if there can be anything funny about this, is that my aunt has been talking for the past couple of weeks about starting a small Segway rental company to cater to local tourists. Yesterday, she had said that she was going to contact the company to see what sort of small business discounts or programs they might have. This morning, my wife told her that she may have to wait a while to get that reply and relayed this news. Everybody listening thought she was joking and was waiting for the punchline.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by