Seizing/Contracted Mama hen

Utahchickendiva

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 14, 2010
My daughter bought a mama hen and her chicks earlier this week (we have a laying flock as well). On the second day the Mama hen started having seizures:(. It's gotten worse each day until now she's not seizing as much, but her feet are perpetually clenched and her neck is twisted to the side. The Chicks still snuggle up beneath her and she's not sqwaking as though she's in pain but I'd be a fool to think she's not suffering. For the last three days I have given her yogurt water via a syringe. It's not much, but she does swallow most of it and it seems to be all I can do for her. When I hold her she seems more relaxed, maybe because I hold her wings to the side and when she seizes she isn't flailing all over the place. It's AWFUL to watch but I don't know what to do. It's been four days now, she's still alive. I can't bring myself to kill her but don't know if I should keep giving her water and nutrients to prolong things. I would appreciate any advice on what I should or should not be doing in this situation. So sad.

A seizure could be caused from many things. Have you tried giving her water with eletrolytes? She may have a sever electrolyte imbalance. It's just an easy thing to try. Hope this bump helps.

Thank you Victoriacl--I had bought some pedia sure but hadn't tried it. I did tonight and she took it really well. She doesn't seem to be seizing anymore, but is still pretty rigid and her neck is twisted. Still, I'm very hopeful with how well she took the electorlytes and how relaxed she's become since then. I really appreciate your feedback--thanks.

It's a good idea, they give so much of themselves hatching chicks who knows what's missing from her diet.

I think I figured it out--after some digging around on BYC I'm pretty sure she has wry neck. I've read up on all the advice, one of which is electrolytes, and I'll be working with her for the next couple of weeks. She was MUCH better this morning and actually fought me for the first time. I think the electrolytes helped her get some energy back. I know there's no guarantees, but I'm releaved to know that wry neck can be treated. Here's hoping!

Thanks again for your help

Back
Top Bottom