Selection today!!! Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fledgling, May 2, 2009.

1. fledgling

fledgling Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    Out of my 28 wild two week old babies, I am going to select four today to be our laying hens (two Barred Rock and two Orpingtons). [​IMG] They will get names and treats and cuddles. It will feel good to finally get attached to some of these babies! The lucky four will also get their own, private brooder in the house. The others will go into the big patio brooder.

As for the fate of the other 24...well....[​IMG] [​IMG]

If we end up with an Orpington rooster, I get to rescue him, too. I have to look up what age roosters begin to crow. [​IMG]

I was thinking about looking for the calmest, most cuddly ones when I am moving them to clean their brooder. Previous moves have shown variety in the reactions of the chicks to handling. The selected ones should go to sleep in my hands, too. Does anyone else have any criteria they can suggest?

2. fledgling

fledgling Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    Oops! Is this post a faux pas? Is it not a good thing to mention chickens raised for food?

If so, my apologies. [​IMG]

If anyone is interested, the selection process was easy. Only four didn't chirp loudly when I picked them up. And one of those escaped the dog crate mini brooder and came running over to me. Awwww! Two have names already. It's nice to be able to get attached to a few of these little chicks, finally.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There's a whole section on here about meat birds.

4. silverlining

silverlining Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Highlands Ranch
    Aww thats so cute! I bought only 3 at the feed store and my brother scared them accidentally when free-ranging and they all ran right to my lap for protection. It gives you the warm fuzzies [​IMG]

And I dont think anyone should be offended...I've heard some other people mention meat birds too. Just a fact of life [​IMG]

My favorite bird Flash is a sweetie who doesn't chirp when picked up!

5. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    I've heard on here before... don't name your dinner!!! Many people on here have chickens for eggs and meat. don't worry [​IMG] Congrats on picking your favorite 4!

6. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Hi, come on over to the meat bird section we will chat with you. I am planning on doing the same with a dual purpose breed and guineas.
    Please keep us posted on how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by