Self inflicted spur injuries

fostermom55

Songster
7 Years
Jun 10, 2016
My rooster has been acting off. Yesterday evening I finally got hands on him . Both of his knee joints are wounded and infected looking. He has lost a lot of muscle. It looks to me like it is where he scraped himself with his own spurs. They are very long. Couldn't do anything for him but put him in isolation with water and food until I get back from the hospital. , my child is having a procedure today. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

What you could do is bandage the area and treat it with iodine as well as twist the spur off using your preferred method, clipping the spirit at this point would just prolong your birds suffering. I do advise having some cornstarch powder or flour nearby when you remove the Spurs because some birds bleed more than others. If you do it correctly it won't hurt the bird and it'll make his life a lot easier ❤️ (I twist my boys Spurs every year, twisting a spur just removes a few layers, shortening it. I like to turn my boys spurs into earrings ❤️❤️)

What you could do is bandage the area and treat it with iodine as well as twist the spur off using your preferred method, clipping the spirit at this point would just prolong your birds suffering. I do advise having some cornstarch powder or flour nearby when you remove the Spurs because some birds bleed more than others. If you do it correctly it won't hurt the bird and it'll make his life a lot easier ❤️ (I twist my boys Spurs every year, twisting a spur just removes a few layers, shortening it. I like to turn my boys spurs into earrings ❤️❤️)
The vet told me removing spurs that way is the same as removing a finger or toe

Yes and no. It's not a toe, but it does have a quick and tender tissue under the hard casing. You wouldn’t remove the entire spur though
Agree with this.
It's more like a nail or claw than it is an extra digit. A spur is made of bone and keratin and has a blood vessel running down the center. I just took dog nail clippers the other day and trimmed my roosters spurs. I cut off small sections at a time and he never bled. I also rounded the edges so there was nothing sharp when he went to mate his ladies.

Can you describe what you mean by twisting?

Back
Top Bottom