self-segregation in multi-breed flock?

ailurophile23

Songster
9 Years
Dec 21, 2010
VA
Not sure if this is the right area for this question but here goes - in mixed breed flocks, do your breeds tend to self-segregate? I have two breeds in my flock of 12 hens - light brahmas and speckled sussex and frequently I notice that the sussex hang out with the sussex and the brahmas hang out the the brahmas, especially when out free-ranging. Any thoughts on why this might be?

I once had a mixed breed rooster who was orange/red in color with a white tail. He lorded over a flock of 39 hens (Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Golden Laced Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Black Australorps, Red Sexlinks, Black Sexlinks, and several mixes). He'd mate with, call to food, and protect all of the hens, but he lavished most of his attention on the Red Sexlinks, which happened to be colored just like him.

I've also seen color segregation in our cattle. I've seen them all laying down in the shade on a summer day, black cows in one area, black baldy cows in another area, Hereford cows in another area, and Gelbvieh cows in another area... I've also seen young calves do the same thing.
roll.png

Interesting! This is the first group of animals I have had that seems to do this so I was sort of surprised. I'll have to watch the multi-breed cow herds around us as well. Thanks for all the input everyone.

That's nature in control. It's just the way our God made every animal. If you're forced to mix against natures will, things have a tendency to get all out of whack and bad things happen. It's just the way things are.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom