Selling a horse blues...

Avalon1984

Songster
9 Years
Dec 22, 2010
Muskegon
I’ve got the blues about selling one of my horses. I found him a wonderful home, got my asking price worth and sold a horse when hardly nothing is moving in my part of the horse market...I shouldn't be complaining…yet…I am sad. I will miss him. This is the second horse out of 6 we sold this year after I decided to restructure my breeding efforts. We also lost a filly to colic so by the time this horse is paid off and leaving, I will have lost half of my herd. I am looking at some nice breeding horses to replace the “pleasure horses” I sold but I cannot shake off the feeling of losing something special to my heart. Does anybody ever feel like that?
hmm.png

Yes I know. I guess I was just hoping it wouldn’t be as hard. He will be in a great home, I guess that is the best I can wish for.

I think everyone feels like that after having spent a lot of time on an animal. It is good that you found a good home for him in this dead market, and he brought what you wanted. I stopped breeding because I'm not going to breed foals unless they can bring the price they are worth, which they won't in this market. I have a wonderful imported mare with fairly rare bloodlines but I'm not giving away her babies or having them go to less-than-stellar homes...I'm just not going to breed her and might not ever unless the market recovers. So for now she is strictly a pleasure and show horse; she was bought for that purpose with the hope of also breeding her, but the welfare of the youngsters had to figure in too.

I think everyone feels like that after having spent a lot of time on an animal. It is good that you found a good home for him in this dead market, and he brought what you wanted. I stopped breeding because I'm not going to breed foals unless they can bring the price they are worth, which they won't in this market. I have a wonderful imported mare with fairly rare bloodlines but I'm not giving away her babies or having them go to less-than-stellar homes...I'm just not going to breed her and might not ever unless the market recovers. So for now she is strictly a pleasure and show horse; she was bought for that purpose with the hope of also breeding her, but the welfare of the youngsters had to figure in too.

That is a very noble cause and I agree. This guy has been up for sale for a few years now. We had some good nibbles but I wanted him to go to the right home. He will be with the Mounted PD which is also interested in future horses we may have. This is very exciting for us and we have 2 breedings planned for this year- both of the foals I would be willing to keep if they couldn't sell. We'll see what happens. You know what they say, one door closes, another one opens. sigh...

I know exactly how you feel. I bred and showed dogs for 25 years and when you are in breeding/showing, you have to get it in your head that you must have a constant 'turnover'. I had to periodically place some of my older dogs in new homes so I always asked for references and my contract stated if for ANY reason they could not keep him/her, I would take him/her back....anytime, any age...and then I could look for a new home. And they were spayed/neutered before they left my home. I only ever had 3 returned and re-homed. Made me feel better knowing I knew where my guys were.
Like you, I held on to them for a long time till 'THE' right home came along. I was not a heavy breeder. I had a litter once a year or every other year so I could keep my numbers down.

You will feel better with time. Try to stay in contact with your buyers in case they need your help...that helps.
hugs.gif

Yes and no. I sold 4 horses that I was so glad to see go. They all got such great homes and it was such a great relief. Now, I'm left with a weighty decision about this one mare that I really would like to keep, but the right home may be available. But it is so hard to let this one go. Could she be replaced, probably, but I just have a feeling that I would have seller's regrets and so there she sits, waiting around for me to make up my mind...

Yes and no. I sold 4 horses that I was so glad to see go. They all got such great homes and it was such a great relief. Now, I'm left with a weighty decision about this one mare that I really would like to keep, but the right home may be available. But it is so hard to let this one go. Could she be replaced, probably, but I just have a feeling that I would have seller's regrets and so there she sits, waiting around for me to make up my mind...

Peaches Lee, I know exactly where you are coming from. I felt like that about axel for the longest time. We did do his pre purchase yesterday and the vet was very impressed with him. Poor guy had to undergo so much poking, prodding and running and it was 17 degrees outside. I like the lady a lot. She knows how to do her homework, has been asking excellent questions. I know he’ll have a good home. I guess I will always see him as the little newborn that used to chase me around the stall trying to suck on my thumb. But they grow up and they need to do their part to support the breeding operation and grow our farm. We just lost our filly on Thanksgiving and part of me I am sure is now trying to hold on extra hard to everyone else. I know this turnover in my operation is needed and I am grateful to have found 2 great clients for the horses I had for sale, but it can be heartbreaking. You memorize their birth date and time, their blood values, how many minutes it took them to stand, suckle and run, when it was their first time to see snow… feels like I am handing my child off to somebody else. I will get over this, I know. I just dread the day when the weather gets better and when the semi pulls up and I have to say my good byes.

Well, I got the official word today that he will sell. Waiting on the contract to be returned and payment. Will miss you buddy.

I love draft horses! Just don't have room for one. He's a beauty, Avalon! I am sure he is going to a beautiful and loving home. I am hoping to get myself a little mini sometime next year and 'You' are the kind of person I would want to buy a horse from!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom