Lothiriel

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Aug 30, 2007
New York State
My Coop
My Coop
How much would be a fair price for an 8 week old Violet guinea hen?

I don't have one... but a friend is considering the idea... not sure why, but she is.
tongue.png
So she's wondering what a fair price would be.

She hasn't decided to sell it just yet. Just considering the idea. I'm not sure why she would be selling just one... They have 6 currently. She did mention something like selling her because she's kind of rare (?) and it might help finance for their other guineas and chicks.

I have seen mature guinnea go on Craigslist locally for anywhere from FREE to $15. I don't know if this specific bird is rarer to demand a premium. It is also only 8-weeks old.

Wouldn't it be hard to sell just one? You are pretty much limiting your target market to people that already have guinneas. They are social birds; buying only one would be asking for problems.

Are you interested in getting the Keet for yourself? Where a bouts in NY are you guys? I'm in New Hampshire and would love a new hen. But once again I have no way to get it and what to offer. She might want to put it up for auction on the Buy~ Sell~Trade forum.

I have seen mature guinnea go on Craigslist locally for anywhere from FREE to $15. I don't know if this specific bird is rarer to demand a premium. It is also only 8-weeks old.

Wouldn't it be hard to sell just one? You are pretty much limiting your target market to people that already have guinneas. They are social birds; buying only one would be asking for problems.
Yeah, I don't know how rare a Violet is, if at all. She thinks it's rare though. And yes, selling just 1 will definitely limit the market. I also was thinking how she would have to adjust to her new environment and be the low girl on the totem pole.

Are you interested in getting the Keet for yourself? Where a bouts in NY are you guys? I'm in New Hampshire and would love a new hen. But once again I have no way to get it and what to offer. She might want to put it up for auction on the Buy~ Sell~Trade forum.
Haha... I'd be sorely tempted...And might give in if she does decide to sell. We're in Delaware/Otesgo counties, about an hour away from Binghamton. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of you guinea folks who would love her. Peeps already said to pack her up and ship her over there.
lol.png
But I don't think a guinea would do well in the mail.

LOL, I want her, but it would be kinda of a tight fit for her in a padded envelope, and it's a long trip to CA
lau.gif

Violates are not that rare... just not that common, if that makes sense. Not many people have them in their flocks, but they are available and easily ordered,...both eggs and keets. I'd sell her for no less than $15 if she were mine.. (but if she were mine I'd keep her!).

I agree, poor little girl being yanked away from her flock mates and moved to a strange place and having to readjust isn't going to be very fun for her. Tell your friend to keep her, hatch keets from her, then sell the keets and keep the Hen geeze!

I'd love to have her, but shipping is a problem for one guinea. It would sort of make it not worth it for me - Very expensive. But there are a lot of places to advertise in each state. In Georgia, we have the Georgia Market Bulletin, which sells all kinds of livestock, including poultry. The trick is to find someone in state who will come pick her up, or meet halfway.

I'd do it in a minute if the guinea were in my state.

Check Backyard Chicken's state forum and see if there's a Facebook page for the state. Someone will want the guinea from NY (I'm assuming the seller is from NY?)

Back
Top Bottom