Selling Chicks in the spring...feedback wanted

Quote:
I agree with briteday on the purebred vs mixed although I think if you are going to go down the mixed breed road you need to find good hardy breeds first and then work out the kinks to get consistent quality with the mixed chicken then try to sell them. Especially in this area. Because when it all comes down to it, they want good layers and good meat birds and the design/looks is secondary but still a factor. I am a purebred lover myself. I grew up raising all varieties and I have my favourites and they are my favourites because of their abilities in egg laying, meat production and overall temperament. A lot of ppl want what they are used to and what fits into their lifestyle and you cannot really determine that as accurately with mixed breed chickens as you can with the purebred. Not all purebreds are exactly the same all of the time either but you have a greater chance of getting the "standard" for that breed if they are purebred than if they are mixed and ppl like that security.

briteday - Sounds like you put in a ton of work last spring for this area, I had a question for you since I live in the same area and I have been watching CL's and talking to ppl at the local feed stores, etc. How do you think Golden Laced Wyandottes, Black Australorps and Silver Laced Wyandottes will do around here? I know a lot of ppl I have spoke to seem Buff Orp. crazy but when I see the above three breeds for sale they are usually gone almost as quickly as the ad is placed and they are pretty pricey too but then so are most ads for chickens around here. I just figured I would semi-hijack the thread and ask you since you put in a lot of the same work I was planning on doing myself. I know EE's are pretty popular around here but I am not a big fan of the breed and actually just sold off all of mine to a guy yesterday. Almost everyone I have talked to really seemed excited when I mentioned getting those three breeds and wanted to know if I would be breeding but like with a lot of things around here you really cannot judge the popularity of something until you are there selling it. But I am very interested in your input since you have been there already.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom