Selling eggs in the future?

TheHappyHen21

Chirping
Sep 14, 2015
Russell, Ny
I have 10 Jersey Giant pullets right now and One cockerel. Im guessing ill be over filling with eggs when there laying(super happy), so I plan on selling them, I use to sell my RIR eggs before. Anyone else selling right now? do you have a farm stand?

I sell eggs, currently, have weekly customers with a few others occasionally asking for eggs. I take them to church with me. Really don't like to do it that way, prefer folks to come to me. But, if they want them, and I'm gonna be there any ways there's no sense making them drive to my house! When my girls start producing more than I can comfortably deal with in that venue, I'll put my sign back up. I keep a cooler at the end of my driveway with a change can in the cooler so folks can make change if needed.

I love selling eggs! I want to put up a farm stand when my girls start laying, I also have a roo like I said and plan on selling Chicks, I also raise Flemish Giant Rabbits. I want to become Self Sufficient. My husband works and so do I at The Wood Chop Shop in Ny. We deal with Chainsaws, lawn mowers, ect. Id like to wake up one day and just have my coffee and tend to my animals and my home, not the working life style. Eventually ill be getting into Raising goats, As I enjoy The Fainting Goats. :)

I sell to just a few friends and acquaintances, works for me and my small flock.

If you plan to sell to the general public, you might want to check out your local laws so you don't get yourself hard boiled.

Like aart said, you may want to check with local laws,,,, most areas generally allow egg sales as long as they are sold on your property,, so a sign at the end of your driveway will probably draw in more than enough customers. You may also want to look into farmers markets,, the markets in our area allow egg sales and meat bird sales as long as you do not process the birds yourself and have them done by a certified processor.
As others have said, churchs and workplaces are also options, start asking co-workers if they may be interested.
Other avenues you can explore are small restaraunts or coffee shops that sell breakfast sandwiches,,, many "mom and pop" type places like the draw of using real fresh eggs. We supply a small coffee shop here with about 8-10 dozen a week.
Steer clear of trying to get into grocery stores, even small town ones. Generally when you get into that market you have to be selling graded and sized product and many times your facility will need to be inspected, blah, blah, blah. It's more headache than it's worth.

Like aart said, you may want to check with local laws,,,, most areas generally allow egg sales as long as they are sold on your property,, so a sign at the end of your driveway will probably draw in more than enough customers. You may also want to look into farmers markets,, the markets in our area allow egg sales and meat bird sales as long as you do not process the birds yourself and have them done by a certified processor.
As others have said, churchs and workplaces are also options, start asking co-workers if they may be interested.
Other avenues you can explore are small restaraunts or coffee shops that sell breakfast sandwiches,,, many "mom and pop" type places like the draw of using real fresh eggs. We supply a small coffee shop here with about 8-10 dozen a week.
Steer clear of trying to get into grocery stores, even small town ones. Generally when you get into that market you have to be selling graded and sized product and many times your facility will need to be inspected, blah, blah, blah. It's more headache than it's worth.

Yes I have processed my own hens before but never sold them, only for us. I only plan on having a small farmstand in my yard and that's it. I don't want to get into any codes or law things haha

Back
Top Bottom