Selling eggs

This 100% depends on your country/state/province, etc. Where are you located? Putting it under your avatar can help people guide you. For example, in some states you have to use new/unused egg cartons to sell. Some they have to be cleaned and refrigerated. This will change your goal. In ohio I don't need a permit as long as I stay under a certain $ amount each year. People around here usually just go with yard signs with a phone number and a 'fresh eggs' sign. Others just build up their market from colleagues or neighbors and expand from word of mouth. Facebook can work, but transporting eggs can really alter the cost benefit ratio. And people don't generally go too far off of their daily grind for eggs unless you're also selling something else.

DEFINITELY look into your state and local rules. Then don't be afraid to reach out - from a dummy email account if needed, and check with your local State agency representative, or your local ag extension office.

and yes, PLEASE update your location. If you were in FL, for instance, I could help a lot. I did a bunch of research, got some answers I didn't like due to poorly written state websites, then emailed a state representative, got answers i like better, in writing.

In my case, for $110/yr, I can sell eggs to end users (individuals or restaurants, etc) from my own property, via signage or internet advertising (FB Marketplace, Craigslist, etc), and possibly local farmer markets (county dependent), which must be washed and stored under continuous refrigeration, clearly marked by a sign at least 7" x 7", stating (substantially) "These eggs have not been USDA graded for size or quality", and I can not package the eggs in cartons - they have to be sold in bulk or from flats. There are limits on how I can describe them as well, and I have to stay below certain volumes, which I am in no danger of getting anywhere near with my flock of 40 or so.

I stick to family and friends. I don't want strangers coming to my house, and I'm not running all over God's green earth delivering $3 cartons of eggs. I love when hubby says he need 6 dozen to take to work. Except this week when production was down due to the cold.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom