Selling Eggs

aShMaNv

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Choctaw, OK
I am just curious and would like to ask those of you who sell eggs, do your customers seem to prefer a color of egg over others? And also do they prefer a mix or one uniform color?

I sell a mix and the people I sell to like the different colors. They know that they are fresh eggs with different color shells.

I was thinking of going with brown dark brown and blue. I was also considering white but not sure. White eggs just don't sell well here, but they may if they were in a mix.

I have never had leghorns but have a friend who did and lay they will lol!! I don't have a problem with white eggs but unfortunately all the misinformed people assume all white eggs are bad lol.

I have never had leghorns but have a friend who did and lay they will lol!! I don't have a problem with white eggs but unfortunately all the misinformed people assume all white eggs are bad lol.
...and all the other misinformed people think any egg color other than white are bad....lol.

You can't win, get the chickens that lay the egg color that you want!

I have all colors, mostly various browns, some whites, and a few blues but I sell them by size. No telling what mixture of shell colors will be in the cartons, whatever colors my hens laid that week is what they get. Generally the darker eggs are more desirable over lighter ones.
Most of my customers are more concerned about their money than their health and have no interest in buying cartons of white eggs when they can get a cheaper one that looks just like it from the grocery store. They only think that my thick, rock hard shells gives them more for their money because grocery stores are cutting corners & ripping them off by selling thin shelled eggs.
The rest of my customers either have OCD and want their eggs to lbe uniform in color & size, or are happy go lucky, care free liberals that prefer diversity.
I try to give my regular customers what they want, if possible, but they will take whatever I have available.
But...
1 lady only wants brown eggs regardless of size because her kids think brown eggs are a novelity.
A Cajun lady that wants only L/XL and said in no uncertian terms not to put white eggs in with brown any more. Brown was all they had growing up in the swamps of Louisiana.
Another lady don't care what color as long as they're the $2 Medium.
Another lady don't care what color as long as they're the $3 Large.
Another lady don't care what color as long as they're the FREE shameful eggs. "Shameful eggs" are the tiny pulley & bantam eggs that I give away because I'm ashamed to sell them.
One of my lady's boyfriend said he'd pay double for blue eggs because they were more healthy. We got in an argument because I said an egg was an egg. Finally I told him it was a free country & he could think whatever he wanted and if he wanted to pay double for blue eggs that was fine with me.

My quail egg picklers are the least demanding customers. They buy anything, regardless of size, color, cracks, peck holes, poop & feathers included.
My hi society ladies that make specality quail egg appetitezers & garnishments for their highfalutin social events are the most demanding. They demand uniform size eggs with small, uniform air cells, centered yokes and want them already boiled & peeled. Nicks & qouges from fingernails are unacceptable.

I have all colors, mostly various browns, some whites, and a few blues but I sell them by size. No telling what mixture of shell colors will be in the cartons, whatever colors my hens laid that week is what they get. Generally the darker eggs are more desirable over lighter ones.
Most of my customers are more concerned about their money than their health and have no interest in buying cartons of white eggs when they can get a cheaper one that looks just like it from the grocery store. They only think that my thick, rock hard shells gives them more for their money because grocery stores are cutting corners & ripping them off by selling thin shelled eggs.
The rest of my customers either have OCD and want their eggs to lbe uniform in color & size, or are happy go lucky, care free liberals that prefer diversity.
I try to give my regular customers what they want, if possible, but they will take whatever I have available.
But...
1 lady only wants brown eggs regardless of size because her kids think brown eggs are a novelity.
A Cajun lady that wants only L/XL and said in no uncertian terms not to put white eggs in with brown any more. Brown was all they had growing up in the swamps of Louisiana.
Another lady don't care what color as long as they're the $2 Medium.
Another lady don't care what color as long as they're the $3 Large.
Another lady don't care what color as long as they're the FREE shameful eggs. "Shameful eggs" are the tiny pulley & bantam eggs that I give away because I'm ashamed to sell them.
One of my lady's boyfriend said he'd pay double for blue eggs because they were more healthy. We got in an argument because I said an egg was an egg. Finally I told him it was a free country & he could think whatever he wanted and if he wanted to pay double for blue eggs that was fine with me.

My quail egg picklers are the least demanding customers. They buy anything, regardless of size, color, cracks, peck holes, poop & feathers included.
My hi society ladies that make specality quail egg appetitezers & garnishments for their highfalutin social events are the most demanding. They demand uniform size eggs with small, uniform air cells, centered yokes and want them already boiled & peeled. Nicks & qouges from fingernails are unacceptable.
That's hilarious!

I do a 'pullets dozen' how ever many it takes in an 18 count carton to make a Large to XLarge dozen(24-26 ounces) always $3.50.
Keeps my accounting straight and sells the pullet eggs without people thinking they're getting ripped off......
....tho my few customers are all friends and wouldn't think that anyway.

My customers like a mix of size and color. I agree most folks who buy fresh eggs don't want white, but two white eggs placed in a carton of a dozen really set off the other colors. Put them next to your darkest brown eggs for contrast.

Pullet and bantam eggs usually get gifted to folks with toddlers and pre-schoolers. Little eggs for little kids
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom