Selling fertile duck eggs to hatch.. . just keep them somewhere warm right?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Kadjain, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I posted my fertile duck eggs for sale to incubate on CL and got a lot of responses. The first order I filled was 12 Khaki and 12 Muscovy eggs. A married couple came to pick them up and was looking around at my ducks and chickens. We were talking about the ducks and I asked "what kind of incubator do you have?"' The mans reply was "we don't have an incubator". So I asked "oh, do you have a broody hen?". He looked at me confused and asked "we can just keep them somewhere warm right, that will be ok won't it?"
    Of course I told him "no" and explained why. Then I said "I can collect you another dozen while you get an incubator and set it up because I have someone else who is ready for eggs right now". His reply was "no we'll be ok, thanks" shook my hand and promptly left.
    What is happening to those eggs.. ? I hope they're not sitting on top of a heater or on a windowsill in the sun.. .that would be too funny

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've read on here of someone's grandmother who used to hatch eggs in blankets in a corner near the wood stove, successfully. One or two here have hatched a (chicken) chick by keeping it in their bra for 3 weeks. You never know.

3. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, good luck to them then.. .

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by