Selling hatching eggs?

McChickenNugget

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
Northeast Pennsylvania
Hello everyone, first post yay! I was wondering if anyone can make a few bucks by selling hatching eggs. We have a some Easter eggers and Dominiques and I'm trying to think of ways to help pay for their food and maybe expand a little. We can't really sell the eggs for food due to the stiff competition down the street from my husband's buddy lol I'm guessing you cant ship much during the winter but maybe in the spring i might try shipping some eggs, i just want to here your thoughts, thanks!

Hi :welcome Glad you joined the flock. I'm sure you will be able to make a few bucks from selling your eggs. That's what I'm hoping to do once I've got my two breeding groups up and running to help towards feed costs etc. There is a buy sell trade section that you could have a look at for what others are selling there eggs for. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/36/chicken-hatching-eggs. Hope this helps and ask lots of questions everyone very friendly and informative. Good luck in the future :frow

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome :) yeah I saw the prices for some dominique eggs for 2 each and I was surprised. We can't even sell a dozen for eating for that price. I thought about asking Santa for an incubator this Christmas and maybe selling some peeps. Has anyone had much luck with that?

Good idea to ask Santa :celebrate. Incubating is great fun, exciting nerve racking and amazing all rolled into one. I've got some in now just starting to hatch and can't wait :ya. This is my last hatch for this year and to make some money will be up for sale at a week old. I will warn you though incubating and hatching becomes highly ADDICTIVE.

Yeah it sounds like a lot of fun but I'll probably have to wait til spring before I try to hatch any. I don't think the babies would survive the winter in our coop and I doubt anyone would want to buy any in winter ether. It's gonna suck to have to wait that long :(

I hatched ducks and chickens this year and hope to sell hatching eggs in the Spring too! You can definitely make more money on hatching eggs than ones to eat... I should know because I have bought quite a few already! Are your breeds separated or do you have mixed eggs? I love Dominiques... I just have one now, but Ethel is my favorite LF hen.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, first post yay! I was wondering if anyone can make a few bucks by selling hatching eggs. We have a some Easter eggers and Dominiques and I'm trying to think of ways to help pay for their food and maybe expand a little. We can't really sell the eggs for food due to the stiff competition down the street from my husband's buddy lol I'm guessing you cant ship much during the winter but maybe in the spring i might try shipping some eggs, i just want to here your thoughts, thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

I have a running ad on CL... although business is slow right now this spring and summer I had orders for hatching eggs coming out my ears!!! One week I sold $75. worth of hatching eggs from my barnyard mix!! I sell at $1.25 an egg or $15. a dozen... There is one other person who list on CL and he sells at $3. an egg, of course his are orpingtons only... I sell enough eating eggs a week to pay for my feed so the hatching is an added bonus, I try and put back some for when things come up (like expanding the coop) I* did a test hatch and got a great hatch rate, decided I didn't really want to raise chicks, I like my broodys to do all the work, so I listed them on CL and had them sold within an hour... I got a call from a lady looking to buy them but they were sold, got to talking and I set eggs for her, she is buying the latest hatch, 31 chicks for $60. and wants me to reset this week! I also have three 4 month old turkeys, Bourbon Reds a tom and two hens...I plan on selling the eggs and the poults next spring...

I never thought I would make much of a profit and some weeks are pretty slow but as long as the flock pays for itself I am pretty happy!

welcome-byc.gif

I have a running ad on CL... although business is slow right now this spring and summer I had orders for hatching eggs coming out my ears!!! One week I sold $75. worth of hatching eggs from my barnyard mix!! I sell at $1.25 an egg or $15. a dozen... There is one other person who list on CL and he sells at $3. an egg, of course his are orpingtons only... I sell enough eating eggs a week to pay for my feed so the hatching is an added bonus, I try and put back some for when things come up (like expanding the coop) I* did a test hatch and got a great hatch rate, decided I didn't really want to raise chicks, I like my broodys to do all the work, so I listed them on CL and had them sold within an hour... I got a call from a lady looking to buy them but they were sold, got to talking and I set eggs for her, she is buying the latest hatch, 31 chicks for $60. and wants me to reset this week! I also have three 4 month old turkeys, Bourbon Reds a tom and two hens...I plan on selling the eggs and the poults next spring...

I never thought I would make much of a profit and some weeks are pretty slow but as long as the flock pays for itself I am pretty happy!

I have only sold a few chicks.... but it does seem like a dream come true to be paid for hatching... which I can't stop doing anyway.
wink.png
I hope Santa will bring me more plywood so I can get my cabinet incubator made!! I can't wait!!

I have only sold a few chicks.... but it does seem like a dream come true to be paid for hatching... which I can't stop doing anyway.
wink.png
I hope Santa will bring me more plywood so I can get my cabinet incubator made!! I can't wait!!

I kinda stumbled into it, I wont hatch unless I have orders and half must be paid at the time of incubation.. I am afraid of being saddled with a ton of chicks lol... I asked Santa for another incubator lol

Back
Top Bottom