Selling processed birds

I say sell, the most they (USDA, Feds) can do is say stop.

"It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission." If you want you could find a USDA inspected butcher locally and get some processed there for sale. I plan on doing meat birds in the fall when the weather here is cooler and they won't fall over dead because it is 104 degrees outside in the shade and 90% humidity.

peace
joshua

Thanks to all that replied. Good points from everyone and I will consider all that was said. I so agree that people are too far removed from their food sources. I think if everyone was exposed to the source of their meat they would have a much greater appreciation for it, tend to waste less, and possibly eat a more reasonable amount of meat. The amount of meat consumed in the U.S. these days would not be possible using only sustainable methods. That's why we have the often inhumane "mass production" of animals for food.

Anyway, one person I have sold eggs to said her teenage sons thought that my eggs were so cool because there was actually a tiny little feather attached to one. LOL - authentic!

Actually Joshua, in Oregon last year, a dairy that "co-op'd" with people was fined heavily for handing out raw milk tainted with E Coli. They lost their butts, even though all the people who got milk there were "owners" and knew the risks. The USDA will probably keep their nose out of it unless there is a problem, and the problem with that particular dairy was with an "owner" (i.e. someone who paid to joind the co-op).
BTW, the "owner" sued as well as the dairy getting heavily fined. For me, well, just not worth it. But to each his own.

PasoFinoFarm, you go girl. I agree with you totally.
smile.png

Quote:
Not wanting to hi-jack your thread and turn it in to something you didn't intend but...
E-coli in fresh milk is the result of contamination by manure introduced during improper handling of milk and can cause severe illness. Food borne illness has also been served up by Jack-in-the-Box, Taco Bell and McD's as well as many of the finer resturants around. E-coli has been found in fresh spinich (from the grocery store) and lettuce. And even in pasturized milk from large commercial dairies.

I will not rant about how litigous our society is or how many people will take ANY oppertunity to sue anyone anywhere for the almighty dollar. I think it goes without saying that you will have to be careful to be extreamly clean when processing your birds. I think that was one of the true benefits of home raised meat and produce. People that knew you and cared about you processed your food and took care in doing so. Your own family members, your neighbors, your friends. They also ate what they sold to others so they had/have a stake in making sure it is treated carefully.

And I'm with you... when food just appears without any effort it is just too easy to over consume without any appreciation at all. I am not unaware of the risks, just feeling like some things in life are important enough to take a risk for.

Oh and love those little feathers! One of my egg customers is a Doctor and she tells me her kids will eat my pretty Easter Eggs when they won't eat anything else! Makes you feel like it is worth it all!

Be Blessed,
Melissa

Last edited:
I just checked with MN dept of ag. As long as I raise, process and sell under 1000 chickens, I'm exempt from licensing and inspection. I do have to keep records showing that I'm selling under 1000 chickens, and of course raising them myself. I'm a long way from raising 1000 birds! I don't even like the idea!
th.gif

I would not sell; you can get into big trouble!
And if some gets sick they will be pointing the finger at you and that is a very big liability!

It's not worth losing your home over. Follow the rules, or don't sell. It's not hard to be "in the loop". And check your State's rules. Just assuming that you "go to a USDA processor" allows you to sell chicken is an assumption. Figure out the system, follow it, then prosper.
smile.png

Regarding the E. Coli. contamination, that farm is in Washington. Selling "shares" in an animal was subsequently outlawed and for a time I belive they were charged with conspiracy. It's nothing to take lightly.

The Farm is still there (Dee Creek Farm) , since even though they lost everything they didn't have a lot to lose to begin with. They are now actually state certified poultry processors, dairy (raw milk and pasteurized) and creamery. They have an awesome set-up and are operating within the laws, which I would recommend everyone do from the start. No one likes surprises.

If I got any of the facts wrong on the e. coli. case, correct me. It's been a few years. E. Coli. contamination from dairy, versus vegetable crops and ground beef are entirely different ballgames.

Yep, ya want to be careful. We're a very litigious society. I think the idea of a business license and insurance is great. I also don't think I'd advertise to sell chickens. I just want to make sure I'm not getting myself in trouble with the powers that be by selling to friends. We'll see how it goes. There sure won't be and short-cuts on keeping things sanitary!

I jusst tell people that "I don't sell, because of legal.........but usualy I will give & people give me an X-amount of $ to cover my cost" that way you are not advertising or selling.
and if you have a good product people will find out, & yes you can talk about it just ask if anyone you know is interested in your product & if they ask you "how much" then just tell them this answer

Back
Top Bottom