Semi-Pearled Attenuate?

Sydney65

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Indiana
Need help with definition. "Attenuate" is weakened or watered down, semi - partially.. But I'm confused by GFA's "Solid (Semi Pearled Attenuate)", listing Vi, Cop & Lite Sky as examples?
Anyway - Zuri the Unknown Guinea has been identified. Jess Farmer Lee identified, explaining that blonde adult males are very light. By looking at adult pics, she wasn't sure, either, if we were looking at opaline, etc. But when I added the keet pic when those light tan markings were more prominent, she confirmed. His keet pics looked a lot like GF keet pic of a blonde, but their description is "lighter than choc,darker than buff" Doesn't mention male, but he's way lighter than buff.
So his name is accurate - "Zuri, white w/tan or gold threads." Looking, she had said either SP or attenuated SP, so is that "the dots are there but you'll have to be holding bird 5" from your face to see them," bc that's pretty much how it went when @Mixed flock enthusiast said he was SP - I hadn't noticed before.
Even Zuri was surprised. 20221026_175630.jpg ,

Last edited:
As I understand it, attenuate is a separate gene (on a separate locus) from semipearled, so you can have semipearled attenuate or fully pearled attenuate. In both cases, having the homozygous (having two genes) attenuate gene completely or mostly eliminates the dotting that you would see without the attenuate. I think that comparing Pearl grey, Slate and Violet colors are helpful for examining what the homozygous attenuate gene does. PG is wild type (WT) with full pearling. If that homozygous attenuate gene is added to the WT background, you get a slate colored bird. Add only the the homozygous semipearling gene to WT and you get royal purple. Add the homozygous attenuate gene to homozygous semipearling and you get violet. So violet and slate are both attenuates, but the underlying semipearled gene for the violet is not usually visible as dots. However, Dana Manchester has posted some pics in Guineafowl VGS of attenuated birds with some faint pearling visible, which I think he attributes to lack of penetrance. Lack of penetrance is pretty cool in general - it’s kind of a catch all for when genes don’t do what you expect from simple Mendelian genetics, though it’s molecular basis is the subject of much study in the field of genetics.

https://www.mun.ca/biology/scarr/Penetrance_vs_Expressivity.html

Back
Top Bottom