semi wild backyard chickens

DesireeMarie

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Hi, everyone. It is such a pleasure to be a part of this group, and I am looking forward to meeting all of you. I am also looking forward to getting advice and learning.

I will make this short. I live in New Orleans, we've got a fairly big yard. A mother chicken (somehow) escaped from a home a few doors down and (again somehow) raised her six chicks in our cat overrun yard. All but one chick survived; the mother disappeared-now we have three hens and two roosters living in our yard. I wouldn't call them tame exactly, but they run to me when I call them, and they even wait near the door for me in the morning. They have no coop, they roost in a nearby tree (REALLY high up, too-impressive), and I've been feeding them table scraps, though they seem to love insects the best. This arrangement suits all of us, but I am starting to worry about how to feed them, give them shelter, etc. during winter.

They look like a breed called-I think-Sicilian Buttercups, though I read that this breed was quite rare, so they are probably not; I just say that in order to describe them. The roosters are beautiful, but I find the hens very pretty, if less showy, too.

Any and all advice appreciated. I've got thick skin-please don't worry about offending me; if I am doing something that seems stupid to you, point it out.

Thank you for reading this,

Desiree

welcome-byc.gif
from an imp in Washington

They sound beautiful. We will need pix.

Imp

I would love to send pictures! Unfortunately they, like vampires, seem to disappear from film. I tried to send a-what I thought was-lovely photo of the five of them resting under a lime tree via cell phone, and it looked like a lime tree with maybe a smudge underneath it. Mysterious! Or, more probable, I'm a terrible photographer. But sure, I'll try. They are lovely, really, The roosters have these gorgeous, delicate green/blue colors in their tail feathers that are amazing. Thank you for your response. Could you tell me something about your chickens?

Oh, there is a great seafood place that we used to go to a lot in Lafitte, and I'd make a pig of myself (and a mess, too) eating boiled crabs.

Is your DH cajun?

Back
Top Bottom