Semiboneless?

Tiss

Songster
9 Years
May 8, 2010
Georgia
I'm about to butcher my cots. Any idea what bones these big companies take out to make semi-boneless? Does anyone have a tutorial? Thanks!

watch the video in the stickies, he shows you how to cut the bones out. I am assuming its the back bone because from the video it looks as if it he cuts it along the spine and it comes off neck and all. There would still be rib bones if you just cut along them but they are small

Can you provide a link? I only found the step-by-step pictures. I really wanted to pluck and then process whole (rather than breast and legs like some tutorials I've watched) so they stay nice and juicy on the Big Green Egg.

The pictures I've seen of "semi-boneless" look like the backbone is removed. I guess I'd just hoped for a tutorial before I gave it a shot.

My A&M's need to go tomorrow. They practically scalped each other this afternoon.
ep.gif
Plus my Pharaohs are bigger even though they're 4 weeks younger- I think I know which I'll be raising ;).

Edit: Do you recommend scalding to pluck?

Last edited:
Here you go.. FYI, the way this vid shows how to do it(by cutting along the spine) is really better called butterflying...

Here you go.. FYI, the way this vid shows how to do it(by cutting along the spine) is really better called butterflying...

That is EXACTLY what I'd been looking for! Thank you so much.

I keep looking for info on scalding quail and I'm not finding much. I think I'll try 140-150F followed by a quick dip in ice water like I do the roosters. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm a little nervous that my scissors aren't sharp enough to take their heads off. I guess I'll keep the filet knife handy just in case.
fl.gif

Honestly I've only done wild quail myself but I would think after chilling would be better.. Maybe try one when you first butcher them and if it seems difficult to get the meat off the bone then chill and try again.

Back
Top Bottom