Send back or not? male or female...of course

clgriff

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 1, 2013
Virginia, USA
I just want to check to see what you all think these two are. I know BYC people can tell from a mile away, so I want to ask so I can know whether to send them back or keep them. I paid for pullets, don't mind Roo's, it is just I paid for pullets.
Thanks in advance
Connie

This one I was told was a Welsummer pullet

Here is a top view of them. The grey one is supposed to be a Blue Marans

(sorry for the fencing, she/he will not be still.

Any thoughts anyone?

I see what you mean, we bought 6 pullets, got a cockerel. Bought 3 more pullets, got another cockerel. Sexing day old chicks isn't quite 95% accurate even with professionals. Both of those are pullets. A cockerel would stick out by this age.

I see what you mean, we bought 6 pullets, got a cockerel. Bought 3 more pullets, got another cockerel. Sexing day old chicks isn't quite 95% accurate even with professionals. Both of those are pullets. A cockerel would stick out by this age.

Oh thank you so much, you just made my day!

I agree with Sudio2770, they are all pullets.
smile.png
Though your Welsummer is probably not a Welsummer the feather and leg coloring are wrong, she looks more like a mix or maybe an Easter Egger.

Both females, but I don't think either of them are the breed stated.

The first bird isn't a Welsummer, she's the wrong feather and leg color. My guess is possibly a home made black sex link or just a mixed breed hen.

I can't see the blue bird very well, but the body type and tail set doesn't look Marans to me. Now, I'm not as familiar with this breed, but she looks more like an Andalusian, something like that, but I'm not seeing the white earlobe of and Andy and I'm not sure what color legs they're supposed to have.

Regardless, they're both female and should lay nicely, and that's all most of us really want, isn't it?

I agree with Sudio2770, they are all pullets.
smile.png
Though your Welsummer is probably not a Welsummer the feather and leg coloring are wrong, she looks more like a mix or maybe an Easter Egger.

I am not familiar with the breeds to have known, but I am happy they are pullets. I don't show (wouldn't know how anyway) so not concerned if they are mixed. The person I got them from was recommended by a friend, and the seller told me to come at dark - it was easier on chickens. I was not impressed with this seller and will never buy from her again.
Anyway, sorry for too much info you didn't want to know, but thanks for your input - I am tickled pink at having girls!
Connie

Both females, but I don't think either of them are the breed stated.

The first bird isn't a Welsummer, she's the wrong feather and leg color. My guess is possibly a home made black sex link or just a mixed breed hen.

I can't see the blue bird very well, but the body type and tail set doesn't look Marans to me. Now, I'm not as familiar with this breed, but she looks more like an Andalusian, something like that, but I'm not seeing the white earlobe of and Andy and I'm not sure what color legs they're supposed to have.

Regardless, they're both female and should lay nicely, and that's all most of us really want, isn't it?

Well at least you know that much, I am a complete novice at breeds, lol. I have had chickens while growing up, and had 11 hens until they died of old age when I was in my 30's, but they were chickens....that's all I knew, lol. Wish I did know because my red hens I had were the sweetest and best egg layers ever. Kept laying up till they died. Even if it was not often, :).
But anyway, yes I am happy because like you said I am looking for eggs and a "backyard" flock. (I did also think the tail on the blue one was not a Marans, I have three black marans one year old and their tails are not tall and straight like that). The tail actually reminds me of my white leghorn how it stands up.
Thank you for your answer (going to look up Andalusian now)
Connie

I love the coloring of your first hen, she is beautiful! I have seen more on here but I have never paid attention to the breed. Just be happy they will give you eggs and they are nice to look at LOL

Back
Top Bottom