sending my roos off to summer camp

chickabator

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
ky
we are sending some extra roos off to freezer camp saturday. 3 barred rock cockerels, 2 delaware cockerels, 1 black copper maran, and 5 leghorns. we have waaaay too many roos. so I guess we will be saying good bye to the roos. we do them ourselves. dh chops their heads off and I do everything else. so I will be very busy saturday mornining. I even tried to give them away so now it is off to camp they go.

well we sent 3 barred rocks, 2 delaware and 3 white leghorns to freezer camp today. we skinned everyone of them and I found the best way to skin them. if you want to know message me . it is so much easier than I ever imagined .

Quote:
I think we'd all like to know...
smile.png

Go ahead and post how you skinned them! Our Cornish x chicks are now 4 weeks so processing day is coming up.

I know we through away the best part but we were in a hurry cause it was getting very very hot outside. We normally pluck them So after the head is chopped off and the bird has bled out you take a water hose pull the skin on the neck up around the hose and then turn it on. it will blow up like a balloon if you over fill it it will bust down the middle (the skin) the water seperates the skin from the meat and it just about slides off all the way very very little pulling.

Last edited:
It really works great. My DH when he put the water hose in there I know its not funny but he laughed so hard at the chicken blowing up like a balloon. on the second one he didhe left the hose in there too long and the skin split right down the middle of its belly. I thought he was going fall on hi butt he laughed so much.

Back
Top Bottom