Sending Off Dead Chicken to get Necropsy

Breakofday316

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2016
Does anyone know how to send off a recently dead chicken to get a necropsy done for a mystery disease? I packaged it well, like it says to on multiple reference sites. Just need an address or location I could send it to. I am in Texas. I truly don't want to have to go through a vet because the fee last time I sent one off was pricey.
Thanks

Call your local dept. of agriculture they can tell you. I just contacted mine a week ago and they sent mine in for necropsy. In my state depending on circumstance it cost between 0-35 dollars

Last edited:
I just saw this. The vet office cost $375. I can't afford that! Now it is the weekend. I will try call tomorrow any how.

I found a cheaper vet, however they said it was Friday and most college labs will not take in birds until Monday. & that the bird truly needs to be sent off within 24hrs for best results. I hate how I cant find answers or people want to charge an arm & a leg to send off my bird. Now it's too late? What is your opinion.?

Finally found a diagnostics lab with a very kind vet to help me! I literately talked to Dr Ficken multiple times and he never rushed me or made me feel stupid or like I shouldn't be raising chickens, in which other vets have over these last few months. He was willing to work with me and gave me directions to get the chicken to him, necropsy was done the day they arrived. :)

UPDATE:
I had three silkies die recently. Shipped them off to get necropsy because everything pointed to Marek's Virus. Thank the Lord that I finally got some results: COCCIDIOSIS- Eimeria Necatirx.Treatable with Amprolioum and preventable for future up bringing. So thankful. :) Wish I would have done this sooner, 11 birds die since November 2015 (7 month period). Effected 26% of my flock. Fingers crossed this will take care of all the issues I have been experiencing. Started treatment today!

you are lucky....... here in KY you must go thru a vet they all want their cut. I even talked to the agricultral school at Murray state... the creepos

Finally found a diagnostics lab with a very kind vet to help me! I literately talked to Dr Ficken multiple times and he never rushed me or made me feel stupid or like I shouldn't be raising chickens, in which other vets have over these last few months. He was willing to work with me and gave me directions to get the chicken to him, necropsy was done the day they arrived. :)

UPDATE:
I had three silkies die recently. Shipped them off to get necropsy because everything pointed to Marek's Virus. Thank the Lord that I finally got some results: COCCIDIOSIS- Eimeria Necatirx.Treatable with Amprolioum and preventable for future up bringing. So thankful. :) Wish I would have done this sooner, 11 birds die since November 2015 (7 month period). Effected 26% of my flock. Fingers crossed this will take care of all the issues I have been experiencing. Started treatment today!

Glad you finally got some answers!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom