sending out for processing

We fasted ours for about 8-10 hours before we did our batch. Took away food the night before and butchered them first thing in the AM. All but one chicken was completely empty. That one had a bunch of dirt and grass in his crop... he was weird I guess.

My wife will pick out our chicken first thing in the morning and like silkiechicken mentioned withhold feed, she will slice the chickens neck with a cleaver while holding it by it’s feet and head and bleed it. The rest is easy she will have some hot water on the stove ready and dip it into so that the feathers come out very easily the chicken looks great. She cleans the internal organs with a salt and olive oil solution. She will usually cook it whole and cut later when ready to serve.

The window of opportunity for clean dressing a bird starts at 8 hours after food withdrawal and ends at 12 hours. Another opportunity starts after 16 hours but that is not as good.

As for the processor look for a small operation like a family business in your area where you can go and help. I did that this year, learned another way of doing things and stayed for the whole thing so I know I got my birds back. Also mine were the only birds there so no cross contamination. For the $150 they charged me it was dirt cheep I figure to have 3 other people helping. For a few of my own I would do it alone but this was 250 birds.

I have no idea what is "right" per se, I just know what I do personally. I just take out their feed at night after they go to bed, anywhere between 5pm and 9 pm depending on the time of year, and butcher when I get up. I find that the crop is empty and intestines are about half the amount of what they would be if they were full. Makes it much easier to "harvest" the heart, liver, and gizzard. Plus, when the bird loses bowel control, it doesn't get all over you... yuck!

I do at most 6 or so birds... but if I was doing 250... no way would I even try myself.

I remember there being a link with what could be found in the intestines during certain times after feed withdrawal but not sure where it is. 12 hours is sufficient for my tastes. It saves me about 5 minutes each, and half the mess, compared to if I forgot and had no food withdrawal. It is also not as easy to nick the intestines when they are empty.

Silkie, I sure wish you were closer so I could watch over your shoulder next time. Maybe I'll have to plan a trip up to Vancouver to visit relatives and take a side trip...LOL
Cathy

Back
Top Bottom