Sense to come in out of the rain?

Flycropper

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Central Arkansas
This morning it was nice and cool. My son let let the chickens out of the coop to scratch around in their run like they do every day. It started raining (Gustav rain) about mid morning.

When I got home late this evening the all the hens were in the run soaking wet. Looked like they had been swimming all day. Their feathers were flat and sopping. They didn't even look like chickens. Their coop door was open I assumed they'd stay inside if the weather was bad outside. I herded them back in the coop so they could dry out.

Is this ok for them to get this wet? Do they have sense enough to go inside or when the weather is bad should I just keep them locked in?

My chickens took a few rain storms to figure out that it doesn't rain in the coop. Now if it starts to pour they head for the coop. I'm no expert but I'd think rain wouldn't bother fully feathered chickens, unless they got soaked and temps were in the 30/40s F
idunno.gif

I've discovered mine love the rain, except for Charlotte of course. As soon as the first sprinkle starts they run out in the yard and sit in the grass, at least they don't look up at it! If if starts getting heavier they move toward the porch, then they sit on the edge of porch and enjoy the spray. I imagine when it cools off they won't do this, but when it's 100 and it rains, I'm right out there with them!

You know that old saying, "If it is going to be just a shower, a chicken will run and cower, if its going to be all day, they will stay and play."? I've noticed that this is true! If its just a brief rain storm, my chickens will go in their house and wait it out, but if it sets in and rains all day, they are out in it like they love it!

I wouldn't worry about them. My 5 wk. old flock were out in the rain for two days, frolicking and scratching, with no bad results. They love it!

my flock free ranges...and it started raining one day I looked outside and here were all 10 of then on my front porch looking at me like to say...will ya make it stop!...the rain let up for a bit and when it did you would have thought i had the chicken version of NASCAR in my yard as they were heading back to the coop...they were bumping right into one another and running at top speed
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom