Sent them outside!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by justduckie, Apr 6, 2008.

1. justduckie

justduckie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    My original 6 chicks got a new home today. They were just getting too big for the house and their brooder. They are almost 5 weeks old.

So I went out to my chicken coop, put a 2x4 about 3 foot high across the one side that doesn't have the windows and is the most draft free, covered the half above the 2x4 with chicken wire. Then on the bottom half I used an old baby/dog gate that we have to keep the new chicks away from my old hen.

I lowered the heat lamp so that the floor would stay nice and warm and put about 3-4 inches of pine shavings across the floor. Set their water on a brick and hung a feeder from the ceiling.

It's still pretty cold here.....40-50's during the day and below freezing at night, but the heat lamp has been keeping the coop pretty toasty at night. But my poor old hen doesn't get to sun bath under it anymore. She'll just have to share the heat with the newest tenants!

By the time I finished getting it done, moving everyone in, it was dark. But maybe tomorrow I'll get a chance to get some pictures.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Little babies are growing up![​IMG]

3. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Now your hen will get to watch little chick TV instead! It's a pretty entertaining show, I imagine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by