Separate shoes for chicken run?

I have a pair of light tennis shoes, ankle height work boots, Wellies and insulated leather winter boots that are strictly farm boots. Then I have my separate weather and dress dependant shoes that are never worn in the barn or around the birds. I don't want dirt/poop inside my house, my car and I don't want to be tracking it around out in town. Vise versa I don't wear my town shoes inside my house or outside on the property. I have a separate pair of house shoes for indoors. I could try to claim that it is because of bio-security, but honestly I have just been this way since I was a little kid. My grandmother use to call me "The little old lady" because of having to have things a certain way and always clean 💁

I have a pair of garden crocs. They work well for the area i live in. I also have a pair of big rubber boots when needed (mainly when it rains and gets super muddy). I just hate tracking stuff in from the outdoors. I personally use a good bit of straw in my garden and really would like to keep it outside.

There has been h5n1 found in one widgeon in my county out of the multitudes of birds tested....so my hiking boots don't go to the chicken coop and I don't wear those clothes out to see the girls(though I wouldn't wear those clothes out to them anyway)

In process of building my run/coop but have been seeing talk of separate shoes for walking inside chicken run. (We are in AZ desert.) Is this something that is commonplace and everyone does?

We plan to only have 2 or 3 hens in a 10' x 20' run. I'm just imagining days of old where people had free run chickens in their yards and went about their daily business on the homestead without changing shoes, etc. everytime they were around chickens.
Every member of our family has what we call “coop shoes”. We all use these if we know we will be inside the run. Croc type shoes work great as do rubber boots as they can easily be washed and hosed off.

Yes, I have separate shoes to practice good bio security. I have shoes for warm weather and boots for cold weather that are ONLY for my chicken yard. My street shoes are never worn in my chicken yard or coop.

If I’m going to visit someone that has chickens, I will shower first and then put on fresh clothes just before going to their house. I also bring a pair of pre-bleached garden shoes to wear in their chicken yard. When I’m done the shoes are removed and placed in a disposable bag for the ride home. I use disinfecting wipes for my hands before getting in my truck. I have all this prepped ahead of time.

Once home, my clothes go immediately into the hamper and then I shower again. I put on the clothes that I wore at the beginning of the day. I will then bleach the garden shoes from my friend’s house. That way they are ready to go if I visit someone with chickens.

All that said, I do limit my visits to others’ chicken yards and coops. It might seem like a lot of extra work, but it really isn’t. It’s just having a routine and being prepped ahead of time. I just don’t want to give anything to someone else’s chickens and nor do I want to bring anything home to mine. 👍😊
you got it together!

For example, a bought of Salmonella, etc. today will make national news and result in massive recalls and processing plant shutodowns.
Cute catachresis there--I presume you meant "bout." For myself, even if the whole world wants to go into panic mode about biological matters (or otherwise), I refuse to be forced to fear. For example, during the initial covid lockdowns I still visited sick friends in the hospital, without a face mask (third world country and many did not have the money for the masks, nor were they enforced), and, guess what?! I'm alive and well today to tell the story. I've had covid, and, therefore, have natural immunity.

And that's what we need with our animals, too: natural immunity.

Cute catachresis there--I presume you meant "bout." For myself, even if the whole world wants to go into panic mode about biological matters (or otherwise), I refuse to be forced to fear. For example, during the initial covid lockdowns I still visited sick friends in the hospital, without a face mask (third world country and many did not have the money for the masks, nor were they enforced), and, guess what?! I'm alive and well today to tell the story. I've had covid, and, therefore, have natural immunity.

And that's what we need with our animals, too: natural immunity.

Good, old autocorrect!

Back
Top Bottom