Separate shoes for chicken run?

P.S. One thing I haven't quite figured out how to do, in terms of carrying things from one property to another, is mites... I have separate shoes and clothes, but mites can ride back in your hair, in your underwear, in tiny cracks and wrinkles and such and unless you do a full-on decontamination procedure like they do in the movies, I don't see how you can prevent them from coming home with you. I brought mites back to my coop like that last summer, when a friend of mine had them and I tended to her chickens while she was away... I knew she'd had them on and off, but thought that was one of the "off" periods. Guess not :( By the time I noticed them in her coop, I'd already been going there for a few days and soon enough, I found them in my coop, too.
Yep!! This is why I don’t help out other chicken keepers. The risk for both our flocks is too great. Depending on where you live, there are usually pet sitters that will help with chickens. If not, a neighbor or friend without poultry is best.

Im sure the talk is about bio security. I dont wear seperate shoes because I have not left our land in over 6 months. MY wife who has a town job changes her shoes in her car to even come on our land. She is the one in walking around town and in the feed stores. Works out fine she never has animal poo on her work shoes and we are not tracking disease around the farm.

Yep!! This is why I don’t help out other chicken keepers. The risk for both our flocks is too great. Depending on where you live, there are usually pet sitters that will help with chickens. If not, a neighbor or friend without poultry is best.
I know, I really shouldn't, but she can't always find an alternative, and I just want to help. It's not just chickens, she has large farm animals as well, and that's more than what pet sitters are willing to take on (or have experience with).

P.S. One thing I haven't quite figured out how to do, in terms of carrying things from one property to another, is mites... I have separate shoes and clothes, but mites can ride back in your hair, in your underwear, in tiny cracks and wrinkles and such and unless you do a full-on decontamination procedure like they do in the movies, I don't see how you can prevent them from coming home with you.
Maybe something like a non-porous haz-mat suit? You could hose it down before leaving, or in the driveway after coming home (away from your pets.) Or I saw a similar one for motorcyclists to use in the rain. Waterproof would hopefully be mite-proof as well.

Of course, that could scare the animals you're dealing with, so it might not work well in practice.

Back
Top Bottom