We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Separate the Drake?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tamiep, Jul 16, 2019.

1. tamiep

tamiep Songster

Jun 3, 2016
    Oswego, IL 60543, USA
    OK, there were a couple of incidents that I thought were coincidences: a duckling wet and limp by the water, the drake scooting that same ducking around with his beak outside of the nest though I had put him under mom (the duckling was injured may not have been due to drake but later died), him stepping on eggs that are trying to hatch.

Tonight I found a perfectly healthy duckling dead. Now, I don't know if he's just really clumsy or what is going on. He is extremely protective of the hen and seems to be protective of the babies. The chickens came over to have a look through the fence and he was trying to chase them off. He sits at the opening of their house, butt out the door, so he seems like he's protecting them. I don't know what is going on.

Does anyone have Penkin drakes who feel they need to be separated?

PS I found 2 more eggs pushed out of the nest that have ducklings peeping in them. One was clearly stepped on but still alive. I brought them in the house.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would separate the drake until the ducklings are hatched and mobile - a couple of days old, and I would closely monitor him after reintroduction.

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Definitely remove the Drake and raise Momma and Ducklings separate. Drakes do not help in the raising of Ducklings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: