Separated a chicken, was vastly unprepared

Little update:
It's been 7 days since she's been inside and she's been doing well, though she hasn't laid an egg in that time. I think the reason for that is because she dropped a few feathers and her winter coat is growing in all at once now! It happened out of nowhere 3 days ago, just a bunch of feather shafts started popping out.
My theory is that she feels more comfortable away from the hens higher up on the pecking and has nothing to do, so no calories to burn(aside from when I am able to let her walk around the house supervised). Those extra calories and proteins are finally going to her feather growth.
I suppose another theory she must not have been eating enough to gain her feathers, despite what I thought. I will find a way to keep her separate, happy, and entertained year round due to this new experience. I'm not sure if she'll be happier with another disabled friend or not, but it can't hurt to try.
Just trying to learn and understand 😵‍💫

Glad she is doing ok now! I wonder if she didn’t get her fill of feed throughout the day b/c of the others, & now that she has her own whole bowl, she can eat when hungry without having to fight for a spot. Another special needs friend would probably be great for her, if you can find one!

I went on a poultry group on Facebook and inquired about a special needs chicken of a certain age. I got 30+ responses! It was hard to pick just one, but one gal had a chick that was the ideal age, breed, and sex. I bet if you find a group local to you, you'll get a ton of responses, too.

Back
Top Bottom