Separated out the bullies...but will it work?

LCEchickens

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Last spring I successfully introduce 3, 9 week-old barred rocks to and white rock hen of unknown age. All was great until we lost one of the BR to a dog over the winter. We replaced her with an Easter Egger and Buff Orpington who are now 12 weeks old. I knew the introduction would be harder, but I quickly becoming discouraged!!! The 12 week-olds have been housed next to the big girls for over a month. They have been using the run when the hens are free ranging for even longer. When they free range together, it's not too bad. The BRs chase the pullets occasionally, but nothing serious. Everyone in the run together is a completely different story. Our White Rock is doing what she did when the BRs were new. A quick peck, no big deal...she is also the top hen. The 2 BRs just don't want to let up on the little girls though. The only time it's peaceful in the run is if the 2 little girls hide under the old Christmas tree I still have in there. Today I finally took the 2 Barred Rocks (I call them the evil twins) and put them in the pullet's quarters (it's a 4x4 coop that's attached to the coop they have been using. They spent the rest of the afternoon there and are spending the night there as well. The pullets stayed with the White Rock and are roosting in with her (with a little encouragement from me). Does anyone think this will work? The barred rocks were very unhappy, they could still see the other 3 and were very vocal until the sun went down. Even the white rock seemed out of sorts. I am just hoping I haven't made things worse! I guess I am hoping to hear some successful integration stories. Our run isn't huge (64 sq. feet)...am I asking too much for these 5 to get along?

I can't remember who it was, but someone on here had a brilliant idea - it will probably work for you!
he/she took a big pile of cut off branches and piled them all up in the run. The "stick fort" provided a place for the young ones to hide, while the others could still graze around. It also gives the little ones a way to run in and out and graze a little. It'll keep them from being bullied into a sunny, hot corner (like what used to happen to mine).

Thanks for the replies! The two young girls are still living with my white rock. They still spend a lot of time under the Christmas tree, but they are going into the coop and roosting with the hen without any encouragement from me. My 2 barred rocks are still hanging out together. I think I will throw everyone back together this weekend and hope for the best.

I agree about barred rocks (at least mine!). A friend of mine raved about her BRs, so that's what I went with last spring when I started out. The dog got the best of the 3. One of them has a bad habit of biting me when she gets the chance, the other one is just flighty. My white rock is wonderful though....more like a dog than a chicken!

One of them has a bad habit of biting me when she gets the chance, the other one is just flighty. My white rock is wonderful though....more like a dog than a chicken!

The one that bites would be sent to 'freezer camp' forthwith at my house. Biting or spurring is not allowed, period. The flighty one would probably settle down if the Biting one was gone.

I agree that BRs are bossy. I just introduced my 3-4 week olds to the 8 week olds, and the BR is the one being mean. I had to go in there and put the BR in its place when it tried to be mean. The others weren't nearly as bad. Poor little ones. None seem injured yet though.

You should have seen the stare down the BR gave the small ones inside the coop. It was looking straight at the small ones and did not move. When I saw it, i quickly opened the coop and pointed a finger at the BR and that frightened it to move away. Have to watch that one...

Back
Top Bottom