separating 4 week old chick from pin-feather plucking mom?

chickeez

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
Will a 4-5 week old chick do okay on it's own (in isolation) without it's mom. I had to remove it as the move started plucking the pin feathers around neck. Maybe she was eating them?? I have the chick in a spacious cool greenhouse, but she has been chirping for an hour now. She has feed and water, and I have held her a little, but wondering how she will do without mom. I do not want to put her with others, as I fear they may start on the feathers too. I know she is too old to be adopted by my other broody moms that already have their own chicks anyhow. ANy comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

The chick should be fine at that age but needs warmth overnight...it has been used to the warmth of its Mother...do you have a heat lamp that you can use to keep it warm ?

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do have a lamp I could bring out. I was also thinking of putting her in a crate and placing it in the coop, so she could be around the others. (We are getting rid of the 'problem mom") ....Or I could bring her in the house, use a lamp, and give her a little attention. (holding her etc.) Maybe that is a little silly. :/

Whatever gives you and her comfort is great...if she is in a crate that will be fine...if indoors, maybe give her a mirror so she/he feels as if she has some company...that is when you are not cuddling her/him..

Back
Top Bottom