Separating Chickens

AlexRose2040

Hatching
Jul 2, 2020
New York
Around 3 months ago I bought 8 baby pullets but have since found out that 2 of them are roosters. I have 12 more hens that are only 2 weeks old. I don’t want to get rid of the roosters because I do want new babies next year but the roosters are starting to become aggressive towards the hens. They are pulling out feathers, drawing blood and chasing them far away from the flock. I’m wondering the best way to separate them until all my hens are of a mature age to reintroduce the roosters. Should I separate them completely or keep them in a fenced off area near the hens. This is the first time that I have ever raised roosters up from chicks myself so I’m not sure what to do without a older rooster keeping order. Any ideas on what to do are appreciated.

Personally, I would create a bachelor pad for them and keep them separate.

Around 3 months ago I bought 8 baby pullets but have since found out that 2 of them are roosters.
So this group of birds is about 3 months old?
...and the males are harassing the females?
Pretty typical...best to separate the males if the females can't get away from them.
Are the younger chicks separate from the older birds?
How much space do both groups have, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

What are your goals....what will you do with the 'extra' males??

Oh, and...... Welcome to BYC! @AlexRose2040
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1593782636972.png

Hi, welcome to the forum glad you found us.

It seems like most of my posts start out asking how much room do you have in feet or meters in the coop and in the run. Space is that important. So, what have you got to work with if you want specific suggestions?

But is sounds like you have experience so I'll just go straight to your question, should the bachelor pad be in sight of the females or totally separated. I assume you are worried about the boys fighting? Or do you have a different concern? I hate to assume.

Mine is right next to the rest of the flock. They can easily see each other. When I separate the boys in there some pullets often sit next to them across the fence. That has not incited a lot of fighting with mine. Others on here report the opposite though. I think this falls in the category of you don't get guarantees with behaviors with living animals. You can never tell for sure what is going to happen.

When you set up your bachelor pad give them enough room. I know it is only two right now this time, but how many will you have next year if you hatch eggs? Build it with the future in mind.

I would initially start out where they could see the girls. If you totally isolate them there is almost a guarantee of a fairly serious fight when you put then back with the girls. No guarantees with behaviors but I think you improve your odds of a more peaceful reintegration if they can see the girls. Base what you do on what you see instead of relying on some stranger like me over the internet. If they can't handle seeing the girls block off their sight. Maybe with plywood, maybe a tarp.

Good luck and again, :frow

Welcome!
besides what's already been mentioned, regardless of their age, I'm not pleased with any cockerels actually injuring their flockmates. Chasing and being stupid, yes, but wounding them, no way!
Depending on your space available, out of sight areas, extra feeders and waterers, what else in going on? What breeds? Some are more likely to be 'not nice', so more information will help.
I don't do a bachelor pad, and evaluate cockerels (and pullets!) on temperament, with zero tolerance for 'difficult' individuals.
Mary

I think you have a good plan, one that I am about two weeks from doing.

My only two cents, is be aware, not all roosters work out. Some are fantastic, and some are demons. With the number of hens, you would not have to keep both.

Mrs K

So this group of birds is about 3 months old?
...and the males are harassing the females?
Pretty typical...best to separate the males if the females can't get away from them.
Are the younger chicks separate from the older birds?
How much space do both groups have, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

What are your goals....what will you do with the 'extra' males??

Oh, and...... Welcome to BYC! @AlexRose2040
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2224878
To answer your questions, yes the birds are about 3-4 months at this time. They are free roam in the fields during the day and at night stay in one of our empty horse stalls. We do have a old dog kennel area attached to the back of the barn for them to roam in during the winter but currently the younger chicks are in that area. The issue is the girls don’t seem to want to leave the boys even though they are being beaten up by them. We have other chickens that we raise for meat and if one or both of the roosters don’t work out they would join them. So far after watching them it seems that our one rooster leads the other on and they both go after the hens. At this time he is currently separated and we are already seeing a difference. The remaining rooster is very skidish and wants nothing to do with me or anyone else though. I am disappointed in this because my hens are as friendly as can be. My goal is to be able to keep one of these roosters for my flock and to have new baby chicks for the next few years. I’m not sure what else I should do at this point. We have had chickens for many years but this is my first time raising them all up together so I do feel bad about them both but I can’t deal with them hurting my girls. Thank you for answering.

To answer your questions, yes the birds are about 3-4 months at this time. They are free roam in the fields during the day and at night stay in one of our empty horse stalls. We do have a old dog kennel area attached to the back of the barn for them to roam in during the winter but currently the younger chicks are in that area. The issue is the girls don’t seem to want to leave the boys even though they are being beaten up by them. We have other chickens that we raise for meat and if one or both of the roosters don’t work out they would join them. So far after watching them it seems that our one rooster leads the other on and they both go after the hens. At this time he is currently separated and we are already seeing a difference. The remaining rooster is very skidish and wants nothing to do with me or anyone else though. I am disappointed in this because my hens are as friendly as can be. My goal is to be able to keep one of these roosters for my flock and to have new baby chicks for the next few years. I’m not sure what else I should do at this point. We have had chickens for many years but this is my first time raising them all up together so I do feel bad about them both but I can’t deal with them hurting my girls. Thank you for answering.
Sounds like a good move. Go for it.
Don't expect your rooster to be cuddly...and things might go much smoother.

Back
Top Bottom