Separating Ducklings

hollyann

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 1, 2013
My mother and I are looking after eight orphan Mallards until they can be released into the wild, they are around two weeks old and have been with us for a week and are doing really well :) However, one duckling has hurt their leg and may need special care.

If this duckling does need special care, how do we separate him from his siblings? Do we separate another duckling to keep him company? How do we separate them with all of them stressing?

Sometimes I do get a buddy to stay with a duck who needs to be in sick bay. It is stressful, but usually with two it works out pretty well, though I have my favorite buddies, who generally are mellow. Ducks have personalities and they don't all get along as well with each other as they do with some.

I use Epsom salt compresses for leg injuries. What is the kind of injury?

I am no expert but what I do know is that ducks are a social bird and need to have company. If you separate it I would make sure it could hear and see the other ducklings. How did it hurt its leg? Is it cut or swollen?

Thank you for replying. We are not sure what type of injury it is. There is no cut or visual damage, I just woke up one morning and found him not being able to use it properly. We think he may have accidentally bashed it against something.

I would increase niacin in their diet - some ducklings seem to need more than even some of the waterfowl feeds contain.

You can add 100 to 150 mg niacin per gallon of drinking water. Not the no-flush or timed release kinds of niacin, but plain niacin in capsules you can open and dissolve in the water.

Back
Top Bottom