Separating hens and chicks during the day?

700cct

Chirping
May 25, 2018
First time hatching chicks the natural way. We're off grid so i wanted to experiment letting the hens hatch their own chicks. They are a few weeks old, and its warm out. Could I let their mommas out for the day and put them back with the chicks at night?
I kind of want to hang out with the chicks so they're somewhat friendly. Their moms are a bit....testy....when i try to invade their space.
I also wonder if the hens would even go for it, or just spend the whole day trying to get back to their babies. Has anyone had experience with this?

I've never broody raised chicks, but this sounds like a bad idea. Mom and chicks are likely to be highly stressed if you separate them. If you are wanting to raise them the "natural way" then let Mom do her job. You can still interact with chicks by being outside with them, sit in a chair near the Mom and chicks, read a book out loud or just talk to them, they will get used to you (Mom will too). Slow, patient and persistent is the name of the game when "taming" chicks.

Just my 2¢

Thanks all, I'm so used to chicks in an incubator that I can play with. These these natural little chicks with their eagle taloned mothers are a big change for us. I'll go with a treat method, it worked on my wild rooster after all

I use live mealworms to teach the chicks to not be afraid of me, or my feet as they now run to any set of feet they see. The mother hens have a job to do by teaching the chicks what to eat and what dangers are out there. When they are about 6 weeks old, they will stop paying much attention to the chicks, effectively weaning them from constant supervision. If you give them treats when they are little, they never forget it and will run to you for treats.

Thanks all, I'm so used to chicks in an incubator that I can play with. These these natural little chicks with their eagle taloned mothers are a big change for us. I'll go with a treat method, it worked on my wild rooster after all
I think it's a wonderful new experience to watch how Mom and babies interact. This is an exciting learning opportunity for you to learn more about broody/chick behavior:)

I have to very fresh chicks today. I let them hatch the natural way. It’s probably one of the coolest things I’ve seen. Mamma is very protective and I like that. Only question have is I moved mom and eggs from the box on wall to down on the floor. I put up some plywood hoping the other chickens would leave them alone. I have feed and water for both chicks and mom. Anyone think the plywood is a bad idea??? Thanks

I have to very fresh chicks today. I let them hatch the natural way. It’s probably one of the coolest things I’ve seen. Mamma is very protective and I like that. Only question have is I moved mom and eggs from the box on wall to down on the floor. I put up some plywood hoping the other chickens would leave them alone. I have feed and water for both chicks and mom. Anyone think the plywood is a bad idea??? Thanks
Hello...You can remove your plywood in about 3 days when the Chicks are faster and Momma will look after them..

Thats what I did, except with chicken wire till i was sure she was done hatching, then i put them in an old enclosed coop we have.

Back
Top Bottom