separating rooster from molting hens

Ziggy1973

Songster
Apr 17, 2020
Geneseo, Illinois
I've searched and can't find the exact information I'm looking for. My question is this: should I separate my rooster from my hens while they're molting? My fear is that mating will damage the incoming feathers. Am I being overly concerned?

Am I being overly concerned?
I think so unless there is something in your history that gives you concern. I hesitate to say never when it comes to chickens and behaviors, it seems somebody always comes up with an exception. But this is one I'd come close to. There is probably a reason you can't find anything on it, this is just not a thing. I don't consider this anything to worry about.

x3.
Sometimes there's a situation where a bird drops off the social order, for whatever reason, but molting, by itself, shouldn't be a big problem. If there is an issue that comes up and looks really dangerous, make adjustments.
Mary

I've searched and can't find the exact information I'm looking for. My question is this: should I separate my rooster from my hens while they're molting? My fear is that mating will damage the incoming feathers. Am I being overly concerned?
How old are your birds, in weeks or months?

A molting hen won't be producing eggs, so the cock/erel shouldn't be mounting her.

Back
Top Bottom