Separation anxiety dog...what do I do now?!?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TheNewMrsEvans, Aug 16, 2011.

1. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    So my one dog who I believe has separation anxiety has escalated again...the dogs currently stay in our large laundry room with a dog door out to a chain link run with hot fence running along the bottom. (She broke several teeth on the kennel and successfully ate through chain link when we first set it up). The electrified run seemed to be working well, no more chewing on the fence or escaping for months...then last week she started by eating the door knob in between the house and the laundry room, she even got it open and unleashed the puppy on the house. Great! So we replaced the door knob with one that locks and she has knawed on it, but hasn't been able to get through it. After that she decided to eat all of the trim around the back door and the door to the garage. It's just wood, so at least she shouldn't be breaking her teeth on it. Before I replace it I sprayed it with bitter apple and she seems to be leaving it alone. So Friday she tries to get out of the window! Knocks down a bunch of stuff including my guinea pig's cage (pigs are ok and their cage has been straightened out). So yesterday I put a "calming pheromone" collar on her and everything is fine when I get home. Cool! Not really, so today I came home and she ate the deadbolt hardware off of the back door and knocked down stuff near the window again. I've already paid a trainer to come to the house and evaluate her, her suggestion was the chain link run...but now I'm out of ideas. She was fine with the run and laundry room for a good long time...what the heck could have set her off??? Nothing is different...ahhhhhhhh

2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    It's hard to tell from the description if you have separation anxiety going on, or a bored/destructive dog. The two situations would call for different measures to help overcome them. What breed is your dog, and how long is she left alone? Does she ever nest in your dirty laundry? Does this behavior only happen when you are gone, and does it happen whether you are gone for ten minutes or hours? Does providing chewing and puzzle toys while gone improve this behavior? How does she act when you get home?

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Why don't you get one of those extremely heavy duty dog boxes that people use for transporting their hunting dogs in the back of their pickup trucks? I've seen them and they look really strong.

Or could you possibly put a muzzle on her until you get home?

4. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
  5. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

You may need the help of a behaviorist and medication. The medication does help if you implement the training and really put the work in. Alone it would help for a bit, but not long term.

What is she like while she is doing this stuff and how is she when you get home. Her stress level will tell you a lot.

6. a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)?

a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Some things that would probably help, whether this is seperation anxiety or not,

is to take her on a walk right before you leave. Atleast a 30 minute walk. A tired

dog is a good dog. Get her one of those 'Busy toys' where you can stuff dog food

in it and she has to work and work and work to get the food out. I have 4 of those

toys for my dogs, and they DO keep them busy for a REAL long time. I put peanut

butter and dog food in mine then freeze it. They have to work longer and harder

to get the food out:)

Another thing you can do is crate the dog whenever your not around.

You can also leave the tv or a radio on.

Be sure she has many chew toys that you know for a fact she actually chews on.

My dogs have sertain types of toys they like, and will chew on.. Plastic toys though.. Not

interesting enough.

Good luck with your pup:)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  7. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

♥HoneyBee♥ :

Some things that would probably help, whether this is seperation anxiety or not,

is to take her on a walk right before you leave. Atleast a 30 minute walk. A tired

dog is a good dog. Get her one of those 'Busy toys' where you can stuff dog food

in it and she has to work and work and work to get the food out. I have 4 of those

toys for my dogs, and they DO keep them busy for a REAL long time. I put peanut

butter and dog food in mine then freeze it. They have to work longer and harder

to get the food out:)

Another thing you can do is crate the dog whenever your not around.

You can also leave the tv or a radio on.

Be sure she has many chew toys that you know for a fact she actually chews on.

My dogs have sertain types of toys they like, and will chew on.. Plastic toys though.. Not

interesting enough.

Good luck with your pup:)

All this x2

I adopted a dog with god awful seperation anxiety - she would defecate and urinate and getit everywhere. She would freak if you just left the room. We first gave her a large open wirre crate and it just let her fling her mess everywhere, plus she hurt herself throwing herself against the bars. Then we got a small airline crate, barely big enough for her to lay out and turn around. That made a big difference. Somehow, the smaller crate with less view outside seems to help her. That and a solid predictable routine. Also, I don't automatically let her out of the crate - only after I want to when I get home and when she is quiet/ Sometimes I put her in the crate when I am home, and I ignore her if she freaks out. She still sometimes howls and barks, but not like before, and she hasn't had a feces mess in months. It's taken almost a year, though. Be prepared for it to take time.​

8. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Quote:Are you sure that dog didnt come to Texas recently. Sounds just like my boxer Hank. We got him as a retired breeder. He did every thing your dog did but he did go thru a window screen on the only ground floor window we have all others are about 5 foot plus off the ground. He chewed his way out of a heavy wire crete, ate 2 door knobs all the trim off the door tore up 4 or 5 bed pillows pulled all the fake leather stuff off 2 chairs. And that was in 3 hours. We did the collar the meds neturded him everything any one could think of. A lack of any place eles to put him I put hin in out stock trailer and low a behold he is a happy camper there. Tell him go to your room and that is where he heads is to the trailer. I still want to be able to leave him in the house with the other dogs but now I can take my time working on leaving him. They have a deal called a Thunder Shirt. I ask about it on here and Jamie-The-Dog-Trainer said they use them at the rescue she works with . Check that out. It sounds like we both need a blessing for the dog gods
    Good luck with your baby

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by