seperating young roo's. right thing to do?

You just have to use your own judgement. They are all different. I just pulled out my cochin roo yesterday and I'm sad that he might be unhappy but the alpha roo beat him up and his foot was bleeding. I could not leave him in with the others because of the blood.

There has never been a fight between the cochin and anyone else. I can only believe that he decided to step up and try and breed a hen and the alpha would not stand for it. I have him in a smaller run and am doctoring him. But then here comes the decision.....rehome him or build the THIRD pen. There are no more roosters. The other two now have their own runs and coops. Will give it a few days until DH comes home and let him make this decision. My grandaughter will be really upset if we rehome him.

It is all normal rooster behavior. Sometimes they get along and sometimes they don't. It still worries me but I have chickens and I have to deal with it. But I won't leave them together to get hurt again. Once is it for me...especially when just one roo gives the flock peace.

Last edited:
Right, thank you everyone great info and also hearing about differant problems ect of the cockerels you have.

After the 3 cockerels were seperated last night i let them back out with their mum the three of them seem to have seperated themselves alot from mum and sisters and are now in with the main flock (inc my 4 cockerel) my two teenage boys who are very VERY big are a bit clumsey around the younger/smaller ones and at feeding time when they get a bit ecited there is usually some sqeeks and squarks from the smaller chickens getting pushed/stepped on.

Unfortunatly 1 of the young roo's drowned in my donkeys water bucket today, i dont usually leave the stable door open but mamma hen and the 10 chicks got in and 'prince' must have jumped onto the side and fell in
sad.png

I will be finding homes for the two roo's that are left and also my BIG teenage boys as my highest ranked cockerel is getting a bit old an he is a lovely boy and i want him to stay top, then i have my smaller/younger old english game mix boy who is scared of 'Ryan' but its normal and he takes care of the smaller hens.

Im glad most of Ronnies chicks are girls as they will be joining my flock and we will be getting alot more eggs come next spring.

Again thank you everyone
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom