Septic Tank & Drain Lines vs Coop Run Design

It is true that the drain field /leach field whatever you want to call it where the liquids go.. Is supposed to be set up so that nothing toxic ever comes close to the surface. However, how well that works depends greatly on what kind of set up you have.

There are a GREAT number of different ways that the leach field can be set up. I had never heard of the finger system 4 the birds was talking about.

The point is, some leach fields are set up way under ground, where there is probably no sewage water getting any close to the surface. But other systems are set up so differently.

I am curious to know what sort of system Quailsong has. I wonder, since it gets pumped out super often, if it maybe is only a mini set-up or something totally different. I just haven't ever heard of any standard kind of system, irregardless of what kind of drain field it has, being pumped out that often.

And Quailsong, the first part of the system is only pipes and a tank, so as long as it doesn't interfere with maintenance and perhaps future removal or replacement of parts, it doesn't matter what you put there.

...... I'm not sure on this septic's model/ability. I do know that the city will come by every week/month? or so and empty it out.......
This sounds strange...like maybe just a holding tank (and no drain field) if it needs to be emptied that often. Curious to hear what you find.

And do find out exactly what you have, especially I you are buying the place-septic systems can be thousands to repair/replace. Contact the local health department, they are who oversees the inspection of such systems around here and I learned alot from him when I had to replace my drain field.

I'm not a septic expert but I wanted to add that we have grape vines and blueberry bushes planted over the septic drain fields at our house and the fruit is fine to eat. The blueberry bush was transplanted to the current location from a farm down the road in about 1956 and the berries have been eaten from it every year since then with no problems. YMMV but I wouldn't stay up at night worrying about consuming fruit from a plant growing over a drain field.
Thank you Ryan! That's def my plan then.

As an update to everyone, we had an inspector check over the house. 1 hour inspection for the yard alone (3 for indoors!). Inspected everything save for the 'wet' (fireplace) & septic inspection. Turns out the current owners still have no clue where anything is in relation to the septic. From what I understand, it's 40 or so years old...and still functioning well.

Turns out we mis-heard. The septic only needs to be drained once a year. And Alaskan, I think it's a deep draining one from what you're saying and what I was seeing.

I scoured the backyard and still couldn't find any drain pipes. The supposed 'drain field' (my guess, not theirs) doesn't even have any indication that pipes might be below (no greener grass, or sunken areas, etc). There is a HUGE coniferous tree nearby where the big tank would be and it seems to be doing fine, no issues from what we can tell of its roots mingling (though we'll saw it down when we move as it's too close to the house anyways.)

I think the area I want to dig in seems to be safe. We will know for sure up to the last few days before we move in though, and I will make adjustments for digging/building at that time.

So far though, the plan to make a large run nearby is a semi-firm GO!

Finally figured out how to upload pics. Here's part of the backyard w/ the obvious septic tank holding area nearest the house. The mid-ground is where I'm wondering about pipes. But I don't see 'em!

Last edited:
If the system is that old, it might not have ever had any pipes.

I don't think my grandparent's leach field had pipes. And their sewage pipe did NOT have a clean out pipe every time the sewage pipe turned.

In which case, the leach field part was probably set up like a giant swimming pool full of drain rocks and then everything covered back up.

Actually, having the septic tank pumped out every year is the best way to keep the leach field healthy and working well. If the tank gets too full, then some solids start to go to the leach field and those solids, over time, start to plug up the leach field and then the leach field doesn't drain as fast.

That back yard looks great! You are gonna have lots of fun with that place! :)

If the system is that old, it might not have ever had any pipes.

I don't think my grandparent's leach field had pipes. And their sewage pipe did NOT have a clean out pipe every time the sewage pipe turned.

In which case, the leach field part was probably set up like a giant swimming pool full of drain rocks and then everything covered back up.

Actually, having the septic tank pumped out every year is the best way to keep the leach field healthy and working well. If the tank gets too full, then some solids start to go to the leach field and those solids, over time, start to plug up the leach field and then the leach field doesn't drain as fast.

That back yard looks great! You are gonna have lots of fun with that place!
smile.png
Yeah that makes sense. So an old septic is going to work well in our favour then (I hope).

That backyard is going to be a quail paradise. I really thought the yard was smaller the first time I went there; more out of worry for space & snow covering up much.

But yeah the shed there is turning into a full quail coop w/ a covered run encasing nearly the whole mid & fore-ground if possible. A greenhouse will be in front of that shed (way in the back/left before the slope) so I can let the quail enjoy any spare bugs I may have on hand. ;)

Thank you much Alaskan and everyone else for helping reduce some of my stress. First house and mini-farm, now I think things will go much more smoothly, emotion-wise.
wee.gif

Last edited:
Once a year sounds more like it and depending on size of tank, health of flora in tank and amount of people in house sometimes you don't need to have it pumped but every 2-3 years. I had a new drain field put in about 8 years ago and no pipe to air was installed anywhere. There's a cleanout where the drain stack for the house goes under the basement floor 20 feet from where it exits the foundation to the tank in the yard.

If you don't know where the drain field is or how it was constructed I'd be careful digging any holes for run supports or whatever, I would only dig by hand.

Thank you aart, all I'd ever do there is dig by hand/shovel. I def wouldn't use any machinery as I'd be too nervous of hitting something.

I'll find out before I move in (possibly up to the last week) where everything is, cutting it super close but I think it'll be okay now. I was just acting all silly I guess, panicking like the sky was falling or something.
hide.gif

Thank you guys for holding my hand and keeping me calm. :)

Buying your first house is one of the most nerve racking life events.

So the septic inspection is still to come? Wonder if they have a way to locate the extents of the field, sometimes it's on health department records if they did an inspection when it was being installed-might have the details on location and construction.

Good luck!

Buying your first house is one of the most nerve racking life events.

So the septic inspection is still to come? Wonder if they have a way to locate the extents of the field, sometimes it's on health department records if they did an inspection when it was being installed-might have the details on location and construction.

Good luck!
Oh boy - it is, isn't it? I think I'm making it more nerve-wracking than it should be though. I'll just have to take comfort in the fact that I KNOW the shed doesn't have drain lines there (obviously) and that behind it is safe to dig. So even if there are lines in the other section of the field, I'll have more than enough room for a large run.

Right now it's just the waiting game before the move.
wee.gif

Yeah, the septic inspection has yet to come, as well as the 'WETT' inspection (fireplace). Now that I know the possible age of the septic (40 years) I doubt it'll be on any GPS list or whatnot. Probably an old crusty book w/ a sketched in diagram. :D

Last edited:
If your septic is 40 years old then you probably have two 'boxes'. One pipe leads from the house to what most people call the 'septic tank'. This is where solids and liquids are separated and the solids are broken down. This is connected to a smaller box called a 'distribution' box. This box is connected to the drain field and only contains liquids, most of which have been broken down by bacteria. Once the ditribution box reaches a certain level liquids begin to 'leach' out and into the drain field. In a properly functioning system, the liquids coming out are mostly water and perfectly safe for consumption (although I would never test this theory personally). Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom