Serama colors question???? How many variations are there?

jen5680

Southside Silkie Shack
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
SW Ohio
I am loving these cute little serama and was wanting more info on them. Could
you all post pictures of them and list what the color is called. I have seen so
many different ones but i don't no what they are called if you no what i mean.
I no there is smooth, frizzle and silkied but i would love to see the little cutie
with the color listed.
thanks so much!! I need to learn about my soon to be new obsession LOL!!!!

Serama have not been bred for colour until recent efforts to get tehm accepted into the standard. To the best of my knowledge there are no real names for particular phenotypes, although some breeders call certain phenotypes by certain names--not sure how universal those names are or are not.

Quote:
Well that is interesting!
let me ask you real fast since i no you are the color queen, do you bread your partridge to partridge
or is there a better mix?
thanks again.

I can't count that high,
tongue.png

Quote:
Well that is interesting!
let me ask you real fast since i no you are the color queen, do you bread your partridge to partridge
or is there a better mix?
thanks again.

Not for partridge, although some breeders breed separate male and female lines.

Seramas do not have any standard colors. If they have a columbian pattern, columbian & what ever color they are, mottled is mottled in black blue brown... They also do not breed true to color. They are trying to get seramas to breed true to color in order to have them accepted, but I honestly don't find that idea appealing. I always thought part of the seramas appeal was the fact that they came in more than black, white, blue... I love seeing what I get when they hatch out - it's never boring
wink.png
I guess if they do get them standardized, I'll have to stop breeding seramas - I'm not going to breed another "normal" colored chicken. Of course they would stay with us here on the farm, they are so cute, and I have a few that are super friendly, one of which is a rooster that falls asleep if I hold him
love.gif
You REALLY need some seramas!

I very much like the idea of having color groups and getting more precise, every color that you see in other chickens is in seramas too, they are jsut blended, it will take a long time to weed out the combos and get them breeding true and maintaining breed standard, and for the orgional appeal if someone was involved in the club Im sure there would be room for a class for the continuation of the "mixed" colors suprise, they could be called "party" seramas , that is their color ... "SUPRISE" ! ....I will be making an effort of create color groups..but I think there is room for a color mix to make everyone happy. I like the colors to breed as they should , lol guess its my OCD side...
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom