Serama coop?

A friend of mine had a couple and housed them indoors but I have never raised them.
Barring that, in your climate I'd consider a building you can heat but also provide some forced air ventilation.
Were my brain to go off the rails and one day I decided to raise seramas or silkies, I would make purpose built housing for them (especially with your snowy winters.

A friend of mine had a couple and housed them indoors but I have never raised them.
Barring that, in your climate I'd consider a building you can heat but also provide some forced air ventilation.
Were my brain to go off the rails and one day I decided to raise seramas or silkies, I would make purpose built housing for them (especially with your snowy winters.

We’re definitely doing silkies, the same breeder raises seramas and they just seem so cool. I wonder if it makes more sense keeping them indoors during the winter.

I would love to own seramas some time. Maybe next year if my mom will let me order some eggs.
The last 4 pic is a coop I found on Craigslist (no logger available) but looks good to build. For a nesting boxes you could use cat litter tubes, like the tubes cat litter comes in.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • image.png
    image.png
    483 KB · Views: 31
  • image.png
    image.png
    575.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image.png
    image.png
    489.5 KB · Views: 19
  • image.png
    image.png
    561.1 KB · Views: 28
We’re definitely doing silkies, the same breeder raises seramas and they just seem so cool. I wonder if it makes more sense keeping them indoors during the winter.
That would be advisable.
That said, I would never house adult chickens in the house - but I have never raised froofroo breeds.
No offense, to each his own. They are great to look at, I just don't have time for it.

In super cold climates, yes, keeping them indoors, or a half heated garage (without ever running cars in there) is best.

The people in Alaska with Seramas raise them indoors.

Seramas do not have enough fluff, as well as being tiny. (Bantam Wyandottes, Ameraucanas, and other more normal bantams do fine outside in cold climates.)

The indoor set ups that I have seen for Seramas look like quail cages, or rabbit cages. Just put 2 or 3 seramas per cage.

You can make tractors for them in the summer.

And when keeping them indoors, Or in some other closed building, you will need some kind of air filtration.

I'm in your area and have a friend who lives nearby and has a pet Serama rooster. Poor guy absolutely cannot withstand the temperature outside for most of the year here. I don't just mean winter or snow - even a pleasant sunny 65-degree end-of-summer day can send the poor thing shaking like a leaf! I'd never seen a chicken shivering until I met her Serama. And yes, she keeps him indoors, and takes him outside only occasionally for supervised walks, and even then, he wears a sweater and most of the time she walks around with him wrapped in a blanket. It's cute, but looks sad... It's always sad when people go overboard selectively breeding animals to a state where they cannot function normally. Chickens weren't meant to be helpless and pathetic like that.

Back
Top Bottom