Serama feeder?

chellern2

In the Brooder
May 14, 2020
Darlington, SC
I have had chickens for a few years but just recently added 7 seramas to my flock. They are housed separately from my big girls. My question is about the best feeder for them. They seem to scratch most of their feed out onto the ground. I use a treadle feeder for my older girls but this obviously won't work for the Seramas because they aren't heavy enough to push down the plate to open the feeder. They are currently eating out of a small chick feeder with the mason jar attached to the base with the holes. Looking for suggestions for the best feeder for the seramas? Thanks for your help!

Also they seem to very skiddish. The breeder I got them from had them in with her grown seramas so they were hanging together to avoid the bigger Seramas. Will they eventually warm up to me?

You could try just a plain plastic hanging feeder ? If you hang it at their back level they can’t scratch it.

your birds warming up to you might take a bit. Try to hold each one every day .

I use these rabbit feeders modified with 1/2" hardware cloth to prevent scratching feed out for my Seramas and other bantams.
20200804_113449.jpg

This picture is from when they were younger and on chick feed, but I have switched them to a pelleted feed. This has helped even more with reducing feed waste. Even my Seramas do well with the Nutrena NatureWise All Flock Pellet Feed because the pellets are small.

1624031576277.png

Attachments

• 1624031566004.png
    1624031566004.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
I use these rabbit feeders modified with 1/2" hardware cloth to prevent scratching feed out for my Seramas and other bantams.
View attachment 2723955

This picture is from when they were younger and on chick feed, but I have switched them to a pelleted feed. This has helped even more with reducing feed waste. Even my Seramas do well with the Nutrena NatureWise All Flock Pellet Feed because the pellets are small.

View attachment 2723963
This is a good idea! I am going to try this with mine. Appreciate the reply!

I am using the same feeder and have not noticed any problems. What I have noticed is that the water container is difficult to clean. I use a toothbrush and bleach. I received these as a gift as this is my first year raising chickens.

Back
Top Bottom