Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
My house doesn't have central a/c and heat but I live in south east Texas so we do ok with ceramic heaters in each room. I have my incubator located in my bedroom on a tall table with the ceramic heater right in front of it on the floor. As long as the heater stays on even if it's just a little bit the incubator stays at 99.5-100 degrees. Which works perfectly since this is my second hatch. First set of Serama eggs though I am a newbie on those. Lol. I can't wait to cuddle those tiny cuties.

Today is lockdown! I just got everything situated, did my last candling. I removed one that I had left in at last candling. I wasn't too sure, but it was evident today that it wasn't developing. For hatch, do all vent plugs come out? Also, what is optimal humidity for hatch?

Today is lockdown! I just got everything situated, did my last candling. I removed one that I had left in at last candling. I wasn't too sure, but it was evident today that it wasn't developing. For hatch, do all vent plugs come out? Also, what is optimal humidity for hatch?

I have one egg on day 19.. praying this one makes it.
fl.gif
Little Sparky had to have a bath for pasty butt and is now inconsolable. He desperately needs a friend. The first batches had more clears and more quitters, but now more are developing so that is good news.

All the vents you have open are good, they need lots of oxygen at lockdown. I usually have mine around 60%

Thanks! I just received my eggs this morning - 14 Serama and 21 (!) Silkies! My incubator is going to be so full! I have them all set out, fat end up and I will candle them tonight when I get home from work. Depending on how the air cells look then I will decide how long to let them sit out for. (12-24hrs). Heat packs were included in each shipment so they never got cold which is nice.
Anyone else have any tips or tricks on how to keep temp and humidity raised and constant in the incubator for winter hatches? I actually have my incubator under my computer desk and next to the radiator in my room. I am going to try and find a large cardboard box to place it in, or at least construct a shield like someone kindly posted above to keep drafts away and hopefully help insulate the incubator. I am also going to track air cell development this time which I have never done before.

It will be full, good thing they are smaller eggs! I am getting a re-shipment of Silkie eggs in the next week or so. I got the first shipment at the end of December but none even developed at all so I am so happy to get to try again. Silkies are so adorable and ridiculous!

@darkbluespace my incubator has the hardest time holding humidity and I'm so worried about it. Any tips? I used sponges as well. Also, I heard somewhere Seramas can hatch as early as 19 days. Is that true..?
I don't remember what kind of incubator you have, but I wouldn't worry too much. I find Seramas can hatch on day 19 if temp is 100 to 101 degrees. At 99.5 degrees I would expect them on day 20 to 21. I try to keep an eye on them and candle for internal pips. I want to know when they internally pip so that I can help them if necessary.

My single chick is backwards in the egg. It looks like she has mostly absorbed her yolk though, so I am hopeful!
fl.gif

I just went out to check for eggs and when I lifted the lid there was one of my frizzle hens in the nest box. A moment later she laid an egg.. what timing!

Back
Top Bottom