Serama Hatching

Jannene3

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2020
Hello Everyone, I had 15 Serama eggs and on day 19, 1 hatched. Today is day 21. How long should I wait before for the others to MAYBE hatch? I was told that Serama eggs hatch on day 19 but can't seem to find the answer to my question.

Yeah I've hatched a few batches on Serama eggs and like you expected to see them hatch on day 19. Most of mine hatched on day 20 but some hatched on day 22

Hello Everyone, I had 15 Serama eggs and on day 19, 1 hatched. Today is day 21. How long should I wait before for the others to MAYBE hatch? I was told that Serama eggs hatch on day 19 but can't seem to find the answer to my question.

Mine usually pip on day 19, but I've only had one baby sucessfully hatch without assistance. On day 18, I raise humidity to 70%, then My rule of thumb is that if I see a pip in the shell( day 19, or 20) I mark down what time pip occurred,(chick should audibly peep back at you at this point) wait 24 hours (for yolk to be fully absorbed) then, (contrary to everything I've ever read), I intervene. My unorthodox steps: Before opening incubator, I turn the shower on in the bathroom(where my Brinsea incubator is, till room is quite steamy/(leave it on till you leave the room)). Open incubator and quickly grab one egg, I only do one at at time, in order of their pipping, and of course, stagger the opening of your incubator so temp doesn't fluctuate too much. I then EXTREMELY CAREFULLY start at pip area then, follow downward around air area (already marked) removing rest of shell, but not membrane. If membrane is not clear I wipe with warm water to wet membrane then slide it off the baby(Starting where chick initially pipped through. Usually the chick is peeping loudly through this process and wiggles more and more if their able. Sometimes a bit of membrane is still attached at the belly button, which I DO NOT mess with. (it will dry and fall off eventually). Put baby immediately back into incubator to dry, and make sure air opening in incubator is open during hatching process for oxegen. This is a seriously nerve racking process, but i have found with the Serama (ONLY), if I dont help them out, THEY CANNOT make it out of the shell. Ive only had one make the pip, zip, and escape on his own- I have no idea why, but they seem to be very different than other chickens. All of mine have lived and i have a 100% hatch rate, that is if they make it after day 10. I also wipe all my eggs before sitting them initially in incubator with paper towels soaked in warm peroxide (3% like from drugstore) So, Ive NEVER read anyone recomending this 'method', or even doing it, but it has worked for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3212.jpeg
    IMG_3212.jpeg
    578.6 KB · Views: 45

Back
Top Bottom