serama nesting box

RedBrush Farm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2011
Missouri
New to serama's. Have two pair. Want to get nesting boxes in but do not know how big they need to be. I read that they need heat. It is hovering in the 30's at night and up to 50 during the day. I have a heat lamp on each pair. Should I do anything else?

Depending on their age, if they are not young chicks, they really don't need heat now. It is not even cold yet. The heat lamp will be nice when it is below zero. If they can get inside under protective cover with a friend, they should be fine.

That being said if they have been kept at 70-90 degrees, or if they are under 10-12 weeks or if they are frizzled or silkied..............then don't just turn off the heat.

Join us here on the american Serama thread and ask all the questions that you want.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7887637#p7887637

Thanks for the information. They are at least 6 month old but I do not have a nest box in yet. Their area is large enough they can get out from under the lamp if they want. I also keep feed in front of them at all times. Is this o.k. or am I feeding them too much?

80875_5.jpg

i use rabbit nest boxes

I was wondering about rabbit boxes. I raise mini rex rabbits and thought the boxes looked the correct size. My hen only weights bout 10 oz. she is tiny. Thanks for the information.

Any thing small that they can get in and hunker down in, they will use it. Small rabbit boxes would be great. Small cat crates, dishpans, etc

Free feeding is good. Some people remove feeders at nite to help reduce attracting mice/rats, etc. Chickens don't eat once they have gone to roost at nite but they do feed shortly before they go to bed to get them thru the nite.

Some people will just feed certain amount in the a.m. and again in the evening. I prefer to free feed and throw treats in am and pm.

They like very small bird seed. I get finch mix.

Back
Top Bottom