Serama Quality Question!! Serama lovers please help lol **PICS**

poultryhaven

Addicted to Seramas!
12 Years
Jan 19, 2009
Ocala, FL
Ok well i bought the two serama pullets they are around 4 months old
smile.png
Can you tell me the good qualities and the bad qualities. I know they are nowhere close to perfect but just some friendly advice. I wanna show them for FFA next year
smile.png
. O another question i notice how their tail isnt touching their head is that bad and will it ever get to the point that it will?
Oh, is there size ok? or is it to big? to me they are really small
smile.png

Heres some pics

21433_dsci0388.jpg

21433_dsci0390.jpg

21433_dsci0389.jpg

21433_dsci0391.jpg

First of all, I am no expert, but I think they are too young to critique properly. Tail set looks good. If they were older I would say they are not very "chesty", but they may well grow into that. How much do they weigh?

I'm sure Ondra or BuegrassSeramas will give a better evaluation.

Last edited:
o ok thank you guys. Idk their weights and i'm keeping them either way i just wanna know if i wanna show them. Theyre in with a cochin roo right now until i get a serama roo.

You want a serama roo?? Dont say that where I can hear!! lol

How old are they?
If you want to be serious about it get a scale..they have food grade ones at Walmart for 15 bucks or so...

They seem to have good tails, not very full, but it could be because of age.. nice hard feathers though....
They seem to have good leg length, but are not carrying their wings vertically. Its really hard to get hens in that pose, as they dont strut like roos do.
They are slim in the breast too, and they have really long backs which is their very worst fault.

If you find a roo, and are going to keep those pullets, get one with no back and a round chest like Napoleon...hackles that touch or cover the tail base...
Telula048.jpg

Their chicks could benefit his back and chest, and they could give him harder tail feathers (hopefully!)

You wanna look for shorter backs in parents...like these hens have decently short backs....
CIMG1545.jpg

CIMG1495.jpg

CIMG1507.jpg

CIMG1503.jpg

The best way I have found to see the hens in pose, to check out their breast and wing length is to add a new hen to the pen and watch them puff up and stand to show dominance..
Didnt take pics like that, but Ill get some next time...

Don't mean to steal your thunder poultryhaven but I have a serama question also. My little two month old roo has greenish legs. Is this a serama trait or should I assume it isn't a true serama?

Seramas aren' tcompletely standardized yet, so many have dark/green legs which are not called fo rby any color standard. It doesn't really matter unless your serama is a specific color like white, BBred, etc. Some seramas have it.

What does IMO mean? and thank you so much BluegrassSeramas, you have beautiful birds i'm jealous lol
wink.png

But yeah I know they are not the best but i enjoy seeing them lol. Would you reccomend showing them?

Back
Top Bottom