Serama question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Pampered Chicken, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Pampered Chicken

Pampered Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    Someone local is selling a serama pair for 40.00. Does this seem like a fair price? Also she says they are class C but it doesn't matter if you are breefing as they can throw any size? Is this correct? I want them for breeding purposes.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    It's a reasonable price if they're reasonable quality.

3. Pampered Chicken

Oct 25, 2009
    How do I tell?

4. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    Quote:I don't think I'd pay that for C class....

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:if you dont know how to tell i dont think your ready to buy some seramas, there are alot of experts on here that can help you like bluegrassseramas (jessi) but you need to know what the standard calls for before you buy

6. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    You could ask for a photo and post it on here........

I've happily paid $40 for a nice Serama, and I think every shipped Serama eggs that actually hatched here averaged $40!

7. Pampered Chicken

Oct 25, 2009
    Unfortunately she doesn't have any pictures.

8. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I have found that you will mostly get within a range of the parents. If you get C class breeders, you are mostly going to get larger birds. Sure, you might get a smaller one or two, but you are probably going to get some that are larger than C class also.
    How old are these birds? If they are C class and 5-6 months, they are going to fill out more...
    What is the weight in ounces?
    Right now 16.1-19 oz is C class for a cock. When they get ABA acceptance, they will probably lower the range to 17 oz.

Size is somewhat important, but the MAIN importance is type! Especially if you are going to breed them. The serama breed is already flooded with birds that dont look like they are suppose to. Some look NOTHING like they are suppose to.

Im going to add this for future readers to make a point. ("YOU" is used generally)
    I usually use dogs as an example since people understand dogs better.

[​IMG]

Lets say you want a dalmatian, and its a relatively new breed that not a lot are familiar with. You luckily find a cheaper pair locally, but they have a deeper chest, too long of a nose than what the standard calls for and a fluffy tail. Other than that, it has the spots and the height and weight are a little on the larger size, but within the range. You like them for the cool spots and size and figure that some in the next generation will surely be smaller. Everyone can get runts, right?

Would you still consider those dog as a pure bred dalmatian?
    [​IMG]

What if you didnt really know what a dalmatian was suppose to look like--like you never studied the standard. I mean, it has spots and is the right size--is that what makes a Dalmatian a Dalmatian?

OR-- Would you study type first and talk to reputable breeders about what are major and minor faults? Really know what you are looking for when you buy your breeders.

Would you breed them and sell the offspring even thought they have the wrong tail and nose?
    Sure, you could selectively breed for a few YEARS and if you are lucky probably get a smooth tail and the shorter nose and more narrow chest...if you took the time and kept lots of records.

Would you be willing to cull the "incorrect" offspring to get them out of these gene pool, or would you want to sell them to cover the cost of food?

You will probably have to sell them cheaper to get rid of them, since you now know they are incorrect. Some do or dont tell their excited customers about what they have learned from the standard. Some dont want to lose a sale!

What do you think that your customers are going to do with your "culls"? They are going to breed them too, and some are not going to care about the ears and tail and sell these "cull dogs" to more unsuspecting breeders who are going to breed more and more. Next thing you know, the market is flooded with incorrect Dalmatians.

Thanks for letting me get that out! lol
    I feel that is sort of the way things are going with the serama.
    You and I both know the second picture is not a purebred dalmatian, but there are many that cannot see the difference in a nice/pure Serama and a Serama cross or cull.

I think 40/pair is fair for a decent C class pair---- If they only had a minor fault, such as a bit long in the wing or narrow chest--but had everything else correct.
    Also I would see if the pair could help each other. If he is a bit narrow in the chest, but she is ALL chest, then the mix might make some better offspring.
    I would definatly try to get pics. You could buy these for 40, get them home and have us tell you that they are crossbred. Then you are going to be out 40. If I were really getting into it. I would get a good pair from a reputable breeder to start with. The best you can afford. You will save money in the long run--trust me!

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    You know I had those Serama pet males and after reading and looking around my area - I culled the lot. If I made them available as pets, people would breed them. They'd have called them Seramas. They would have only been partially right. So I'm down to my baby Mottled Black and my Silver Birchen boy. The baby is still growing out but looks a lot better than the pet bird boys. The mottled brown girl is looking good though a tad larger than the mottle black baby girl.

There's one hen... I'll have to get a pic, she's bigger than my chocolate but is her buddy, she's... well brown laced. She is whitish in the center of her breast feathers but they all have a brown outside lace, she's a brown head and neck, sort of a brown and speckled back and tail. She's largish but oh my pretty. Then the chocolate pullet is closer, shorter backed, smaller, better tail.

I have to get pics so you can help me "see" them. But I'm deciding to be very cautious. No culls leave. There's enough mix looking stuff out there.

10. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:I second that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by