Serama quitters @ day 16ish? Help?

Badhbh

Songster
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
Well.. looks like this hach was a bust. Started out with 8 eggs, 4 had quit by first candling. Yesterday was hatch day- put them in the egg carton on Wednesday. Nothing yesterday, nothing today. Pulled one out to candle (had a bad feeling), and no movement. 1 had an obvious bacterial thing, so I didn't open it. The other two that weren't moving didn't look like they were full, so I took a chance and opened them. It looks like they quit around day 16. I can't figure out why. One looked like the stomach hadn't closed- entrails were visible. The other one looked fine though. I have one left in the bator, and I couldn't see anything moving. But then I THOUGHT I might have seen movement, so I put it back in.

I have more on deck for a staggered hatch, and i'm worried that none of them will hatch either. Temps have been holding steady at 101, until yesterday when they dropped a little. I upped the temp, and it's back at 100 and steadily warming (probably cooler because of opening to take the eggs out). Humidity has been around 40 (i'm a fan of dry hatching) and I bumped it up to 55-60 when I took out the turner. What happened? Are Seramas hard to hatch normally? This is nuts that i'd have a 0% hatch off of that batch of eggs
sad.png
I really really wanted these guys too.
hit.gif

Do you think some of the problem might be b/c you are doing staggered hatches ?? They dont always work out for the best.

I've done plenty of staggered hatches before, and it hasn't caused a problem...

Since I think the other two are quitters, I went ahead and candled batch #2, and all is good there. They're all moving except for one that wasn't fertile to begin with.

Unfortunately seramas can have a lethal gene that will cause them to die either real close to hatching or several days after:( I had 18 eggs one time in the bator 6 hatched 1 died about 2 days after. They can be a heart breaking breed. I told myself I wasn't gonna hatch anymore so I stuck 4 eggs under a broody I am insane:rolleyes:

Seramas are sometimes hard to hatch. Seems to depend on the strain and breeder you got them from. The lethal gene is diluted from the japanese bantams and shouldn't effect that much of a hatch but there are other factors with hatching seramas. I've also been told seramas will hatch in 19 days and shouldn't have over 45% humidity but I haven't tried hatching any yet to find out.

Back
Top Bottom