Serama Roo Behavior Change - How To Handle?

marlaw

Songster
Apr 24, 2019
Just when I think I'm getting the hang of being a chicken mama, something new happens that makes realize how inexperienced I am. Could use some advice on how to handle a new situation that has escalated.

We have a small flock of seramas. They are over wintering indoors in a heated garage in a really nice 2 level indoor coop/run my husband built for them. The flock started with 1 rooster (Randy) and 2 hens (Winnie and Speckles). We got them in October and they were all born in April or May this year.

Randy was fantastic with both the girls and he turned out to be an exceptional roosters. We let Specky go broody and while she was on busy sitting on her eggs, we unexpectedly lost Winnie (impacted crop). This left Randy pretty much by himself for a couple of weeks while Specky was finishing up on her eggs--but he handled it really well. We spent a lot of time with him and kept him busy with lots of activities. After we lost Winnie, we picked up 4 young serama pullets--maybe 7-8 months old--thinking we definitely needed a better hen to roo ratio for a peaceful flock. Our intention was to separate Randy from Specky/baby for a while and put him in with the new girls.

That plan changed when Specky hatched out a single chick. Randy was all about being a dad and had no interest in being separated from them. The afternoon we tried to separate him from them he cried all afternoon and it broke our hearts--we couldn't go through with it and let the three of them be together. The baby was born the day after Thanksgiving and he has been inseparable from Specky and baby for the last month. He's been kind of aggressive and amorous with Specky in the morning as expected--but she will not submit to him anymore. Not in the morning or at any point throughout the day.

We think because she no longer will submit that he has become increasingly aggressive towards her....to the point he is literally swinging her around by her neck and/or comb just to be mean. She and the baby will literally jump in my arms in the morning for safety against his antics. He's not even trying to mount her--he's just straight up attacking her. He hasn't shown any aggression toward the chick in this way but we feel like it's only a matter of time. So Randy got thrown in chicken jail tonight after a particularly vicious attack against Specky. We're not too eager to introduce him to the other girls or back to Specky/baby until he can prove himself again. It's pretty stressful because he is literally throwing himself against the wall in the jail coop.

As mad as I am at him for hurting Specky, I know it's probably our fault for allowing the flock dynamic to get so wonky after Winnie died. Any advice on how to get our sweet Randy back would be much appreciated!

How old is he? I would definitely keep him separately. How big is your coop? How warm?

Things like not enough exercise, too much heat, and too much light can cause aggression in chickens.

When there's a change in flock members there can be some shuffling as the pecking order gets rearranged. It shouldn't affect the lead rooster in any way. Yours sounds more like he's acting out for other reasons. I personally don't put up with that type of behaviour from my roosters towards the hens.

If he's young he may mature out of it.

If he doesn't outgrow it, then I'd opt for stuffing him into a pot of salty water with diced carrots and 'taters and raising another cockerel to take his place. By the time a chick grew into the job, the pullets and hens would be fully incorporated as a single flock and have enough size and age on them to discipline him in the ways of 'happy wife, happy life'.

How old is he? I would definitely keep him separately. How big is your coop? How warm?....

The coop is pretty big but I feel like it should be bigger since winter can drag on. He is about 8-9 months old. Temps in the coop range between 75-90. It has been warm in there last couple of days because we’ve had random 70 degree days. Anytime it creeps over 85 we cool it off as much as we can without putting baby in danger. But the heat thing may be a clue to check out...thank you!

If he doesn't outgrow it, then I'd opt for stuffing him into a pot of salty water with diced carrots and 'taters and raising another cockerel to take his place. By the time a chick grew into the job, the pullets and hens would be fully incorporated as a single flock and have enough size and age on them to discipline him in the ways of 'happy wife, happy life'.

Lol, I didn’t think he could do anything to make me feel that way but I was ready to cull him myself tonight after throwing specky around like he did. That won’t fly! Right now I’m just giving him the smallest benefit of a doubt since we are new to this...feel like it’s our fault for creating the environment for it to happen somehow

Back
Top Bottom